Dyed and Hybrid Fish..what we all should know

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wow! I had no idea that they were dying fish! I was in my Lfs the other day and noticed a tank of Jellybean Chiclids. They were pink and green and blue, all colors of the rainbow. I thought they were very interesting. Most noticably though, the entire lot had little white spots all over them. Several of them were panting at the bottom of the tank. :-(

I pointed out that the fish were sick and the lady at the LFS told me that it was because it was summer.....Wha???? You've got to be kidding!

clutterydrawer said:
obviously its not going to reach each and every member of the public who's planning on buying fish. but even if just one person comes here and happens tor ead it, it's done some good, right? also if anyone learns about it here and feels strongly enough to take action like asking their lfs to stop stocking dyed fish it will have improved the situation for everyone...

pandapops001, I think there is a list to help you identify which fish are dyed on deathbydyeing.org.
[snapback]293792[/snapback]​

I am planning on buying fish, I would never by a dyed fish anyway. It is wrong and cruel...like pink poodles. Of course you don't inject a poodle with pink gel though. It is so sad. :-(

I gave up on reading each and every post, this thread is too danged long. I made it to page 8. Might I just say I have no problem with the glofish bred for scientific purposes as they haven't hurt the fish in doing so but they look abit strange to me. Just not my kind of fish.

The reason people sell dyed fish? Yep, money...and more to the point, turn over! Dyed fish are weak, they often die, the people turn around and come back and get some more because a fish is cheap to buy. So long as the fish lives long enough for the customer to get it home and have it for a month or so then return, it's all good to those who torture the fish. And by the way, fish DO have nervous systems, they DO feel pain.

I WISH I could find an un-dyed white skirt tetra---I think they are beautiful. I've seen the pink and blues, the fruit loops, the bowl of fruit ones.....YUCK! I know if I get one that's pretty healthy it may well survive long enough to lose all it's dye and become a beautiful natural white skirt again, but I soooo don't want to support the dyed fish industry even by 1 fish. Grrrrrrrr! :grr:

I don't know about the whole ''dyed fish are weak'' statement. It is pretty broad...... I have a dyed parrot cichlid, most of the dye faded out in about 6 months... I think some of the fish that are dyed to extreme like the kissing gouramis would be weak, as they do it with a needle.. but I'm not sold on some of the other dyed fish..

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of dyed fish, I don't think they should be doing it regardless what the outcome is for the fish, but I'm not sold on all the deathbydyeing.com stuff.

hi everyone! I have one question. Do you think a betta could be dyed? If it could be, when it was dyed, is it possible that the dye could get to the sperm (or milt). If it is possible to get to the sperm (or milt) do you think it could affect the sperm (or milt) and dye the babies? ????

Thank you soo much, my brain is going all over the place from this question!!

Through some links in this thread, I found a horrible website, flourescentpets.com, that sells fish, mice, kittens, and pigs, and soon rabbits. They also sell a spray for at home flourescent dying. They say it uses HIV-type virus particles!!! :no: What on earth is wrong with these people??? That site is based in TN, so I sent an email to the Humane Society there, it won't stop, but it can't hurt either. :sad:

vancouver is right, it doesnt exist. I just tried it, but it didn't find any such website.

I KANT BELIVE THIS THOSE FISH MUST BE IN PAIN

Those Sick people how could they its animal creulty if i see anyone with these, these....MONSTEROSITYS SO CALLED "FISH" ILL REPORT THEM THE SICKOS :rip: :-(

all man made hybrids and dyed fish should be banned :crazy:

their are so many nice fish to chose from why do we need this crap in the market

IF PEOPLE STOP BUYING THEM THEN THEY WILL STOP MAKEING THEM

rather then spend time and money trying to create new types of man made rubbish try captive breeding and hormone treating fish that are near extinct

Most reactions

trending

Back