Dyed and Hybrid Fish..what we all should know

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would say yes, if nothing else than for the fact they intentionally mislead you on the fish. It's colors are artificial and will fade out within a year or two's time. IMO, that's consumer fraud and while most places and courts won't take fish cruelty seriously, they will take accusations of fraud and misleading advertising seriously.

Was out at a Petco today and saw some that were very likely artificially colored. ARG! Poor lil critters...

A different local Petco, however, didn't seem to have any of the artificially colored ones. Got my 2 new Pictus catfish there. :thumbs: One of them posed for my new avatar! :lol:
Kristi

GREAT LOOKING Pictus Kristi!!!!!! YAY!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Amity.....are you sure that they were dyed :eek:

Dyed Discus!!!!!! -_- :unsure: ????

silver said:
GREAT LOOKING Pictus Kristi!!!!!! YAY!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Amity.....are you sure that they were dyed :eek:

Dyed Discus!!!!!! -_- :unsure: ????
Not sure it's possible to dye Discus, they're so frail, but I suppose it is possible.

i see those painted glass fish and the multi colored bloody parrots all over my lfs and walmart. Before i use to think "wow, i never knew fish came in...neon green.." but hey, if it makes you feel any better, at least you taught ME not to go buy those type of fish :nod:

i'm sure i'm not the only one that read this article, leraned from it and didn't buy another dyed fish from a lfst :)

Me too!

I saw some painted glassfish once and thought, wow, pink and purple fish, isn't nature varied. Then I found out about them from this site. Which prevented me buying them.

dyed fish = dead fish

i say we tanke every body that dyes fish and make them neon green and purple. not really, but this is a very cruel way for fish to live. fish look good on there own. most fish that r dyed to "bring out the color" look good w/o the dye and they live longer.

argggggg this makes me mad :angry:

Blusypder said:
dyed fish = dead fish

i say we tanke every body that dyes fish and make them neon green and purple.
I agree totally. I think it would be very appropriate. I would probably use puce green, though. Yes, it IS upsetting.
Kristi

I dislike this practice as much as anyone else on this forum does but I do have to point out two errors.

1. The green tiger barbs are not dyed, this is a selectivly bred form, just as the fancy guppy is a selectively bred form of the reg. guppy.

2. The flowerhorn is not an african cichlid crossed with a giant gourami, this would not be possible. I don't know who would have believed that, or who first thought of that. The flowerhorn is a hybrid of several central american cichlid species, such as trimacs and red devils.

I do not support the flowerhorn at all, but I don't mind green tiger barbs. Personally I like wild type fish, so all of this is totally beyond me why anyone would want these fish.

Eric

im glad to see that this is posted here, working at a fish store i have seen the occasional dyed fish in the store such as the "berry tetra" and they sold fairly quick because of their colours, at the time i was unaware of fish dying and when i found out i was appaled. now in my store my manager refuses to order dyed or hybrid fish because of the cruelty involved in dying and he, and the rest of the staff feel that natural fish are better then anything man made.

Eric,

If you look at the later part of this quote from the list on the front page you will notice that I wasn't referring to the "natural occuring" green TBs......
they actually DYE tiger barbs like they do other fish!!

Red Painted Tiger Barbs and Green Painted Tiger Barbs are produced from gold, albino, and red color morphs of the Tiger Barb (Barbus Tetrazona) that have been injected with red and green dyes (I do not know why there don't seem to be blue, purple, or black versions of these fish). The particularly odd thing about these (and this is frustrating as well) is that there are perfectly good red and green varieties of these fish available through selective breeding...
;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back