Dyed and Hybrid Fish..what we all should know

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Agreed mrV, also, people inbreed at home even further down the line, if you take a male and female yellow lab home from the same tank at a LFS you can bet there brother and sister.

It's why I get my potential breeder fish from seperate stores if possible or wait in long periods before buying a mate.

How is this allowed..........is there no laws / restrictions on dying. If it where something fluffy there would be a public outcry. I havn't seen dyed fish in the uk... are they here too??

Dyed fish are everywhere, including the UK and the fish aren't protested over because the public is largely uninformed about it and most people don't give fish the same level as dogs or cats or furry animals.

So (asking as a newbie) how does one know when one bops into their local Petco and looks at the fish? :sad:
tia!
Kristi

Well Kristi.....you can always take a list of the fish mentioned in this thread with you when you go and that may help you........

Always read the names of the fish......things like cotton candy and skittles and wierd "colorful" names like that are usually bogus and are just a fun way to say "We are selling these radically colored fish that have been tortured to near death, but isn't the name cool??"

Also, just remember that Bright neon pinks and greens and blues are "usually" a good indication that the fish have been dyed and should give you a red flag in your head. Most species that are colorful in nature are usually red, orange or yellow. You can also find naturally occuring blues and greens and emeralds and purples too......I can see how this could be tricky for a newbie!!!

Lastly, ask around.....talk to your LFSs and see what their policies are....or maybe order online.....!

I will keep updating my post everytime I find a new species that is dyed or come across anymore information! :nod:

silver said:
Always read the names of the fish......things like cotton candy and skittles and wierd "colorful" names like that are usually bogus and are just a fun way to say "We are selling these radically colored fish that have been tortured to near death, but isn't the name cool??"
Also, ones with "fruit" in the name and things called "coloured glass fish". If you read up on the species of fish you want to buy, then you can look at it in the store and see if it has any wildly different colouration from pictures you've seen in books/ on the internet.
Cardinal and neon tetras are both very brightly coloured but have NOT been dyed, they are like this naturally. :)

Don't forget Jellybean. Some fish are also named neon (besides Tetra) or flourscent though both of these are rarer names to run across.

Thanks all!

Does anyone know, is Petco inclined to carry such fish? (hopefully not)
tia!
Kristi

I went to my local PetSmart and did not find any dyed fish there. I was impressed by this and by the knowledgable staff.

I also went to my LFS which is a small business and they had the "painted" glass fish. While visiting there, a young girl was looking around with what I assume was her grandfather. My boyfriend happened to be there with me, so I took the opportunity to explain to him how the fish are dyed. I'm hoping that they heard me and that it might have some effect on at least one potential buyer.

I bought a couple of discos recently without realising that the flourescent pink and blue was artificially applied. Do I have good grounds to go and give my local fish dealer abuse for dealing them?

Most reactions

trending

Back