What fish off this list can I have in a 75 gallon peaceful community?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

CherryBerry670

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, Iā€™m planning a 75 gallon peaceful community. Thereā€™s only four fish it has to have: 13 Albino Sterbai Cory catfish, Rummynose Tetras (13), 13 Glowlight tetras, and a BN pleco of the lemon-blue eye morph. Everything else below has to fit with them. Iā€™ve picked everything I like that seems to fit below. Obviously I canā€™t have it all, so tell me which fish I can have in the 75.
ā€”ā€”
-Lemon Tetra
-Ember Tetra
-Glass Catfish
-Adolfo Cory
-Otocinclus
- Green Neon Tetra
- Black Neon Tetra
- Cherry Barbs
- Dwarf Gourami
- Pearl Gourami
- Mystery Snail (?)
- Black Skirt Tetra
- Marbled Hatchetfish
- Apistogramma (Borelli or Cockatoo)
- Bolivian Ram (All-female school of four)
I also want Platys, but they donā€™t seem to fit in the acidic conditions everything else likes.

All are posssible. If you have a focus on sterbai, cacatuoides would be out in my set ups. They share the same space and the Apistos (cacatuoides males become solidly large) are a little defensive of nesting zones. The smaller borellii are calmer. However, borellii is a cooler water Apisto that is not going to like the warmth your others need.

I'd keep it South American, since you started that way. The cherry barbs, gouramis, glass cats and North American platys would be for future tanks.

I'd also ditch black skirts because they have boring colours and nippy ways. Otos would only be for a well etablished tank capable of producing the quantities of algae they need. People buy them to pursue the dream of a tank that looks like a neat, sterile golf course, but those fish tend to starve unless they are in the equivalent of an overgrown mossy rainforest park.

Hello. I have a 55 gallon "Community" tank. And, I can list what's in there. 100 or so Guppies, 9 Platys, 5 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 White Skirt Tetra. Two Red Eyed Tetras, Two Zebra Danios and a good number of Rams Horn snails. The Skirts will get along. The larger Tetras like Buenos Aires, can be a bit aggressive around the smaller fish. But, if you heavily plant the tank, this seems to make fish in general more comfortable and they'll be a more relaxed around other fish.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

I just like the otos because theyā€™re cute/derpy. I figured Iā€™d be making algae jars for them and feeding them repashy to make up for that.

Yeah, apisto was a stretch, but they are pretty. I think Iā€™ll go with the school of rams. Easier and stays with the theme. The black skirts, I really only have here because I like the stripes and canā€™t find other stripey fish beyond angels, which wouldnā€™t fit in this setup.

Hello. I have a 55 gallon "Community" tank. And, I can list what's in there. 100 or so Guppies, 9 Platys, 5 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 White Skirt Tetra. Two Red Eyed Tetras, Two Zebra Danios and a good number of Rams Horn snails. The Skirts will get along. The larger Tetras like Buenos Aires, can be a bit aggressive around the smaller fish. But, if you heavily plant the tank, this seems to make fish in general more comfortable and they'll be a more relaxed around other fish.

10 Tanks (Now 11)
Eh, I need a open space for my bottomfeeders: canā€™t heavily plant like that. Iā€™ll probably mix similar temperaments and not deal with aggressive tetras.

Eh, I need a open space for my bottomfeeders: canā€™t heavily plant like that. Iā€™ll probably mix similar temperaments and not deal with aggressive tetras.
You can plant heavily and still have room for the bottom feeders. I planted in sort of a concave pattern with the plants along the back and sides, leaving a middle area of sand for my cories. And that's including floating plants too.

So, Iā€™m planning a 75 gallon peaceful community. Thereā€™s only four fish it has to have: 13 Albino Sterbai Cory catfish, Rummynose Tetras (13), 13 Glowlight tetras, and a BN pleco of the lemon-blue eye morph. Everything else below has to fit with them. Iā€™ve picked everything I like that seems to fit below. Obviously I canā€™t have it all, so tell me which fish I can have in the 75.
ā€”ā€”
-Lemon Tetra
-Ember Tetra
-Glass Catfish
-Adolfo Cory
-Otocinclus
- Green Neon Tetra
- Black Neon Tetra
- Cherry Barbs
- Dwarf Gourami
- Pearl Gourami
- Mystery Snail (?)
- Black Skirt Tetra
- Marbled Hatchetfish
- Apistogramma (Borelli or Cockatoo)
- Bolivian Ram (All-female school of four)
I also want Platys, but they donā€™t seem to fit in the acidic conditions everything else likes.
Water hardness is going to be a key factor in determining what to add to your tank.

Oh, Iā€™m sorry, I forgot to mention that. Iā€™m using pure RODI water, with no cuts. Supposedly thatā€™s better for the Amazon tetras and whatnot that are going in. If my plants start dying, Iā€™ll begin adding a mineralizer, but hardness shouldnā€™t get much above 3-4 GH.

You can plant heavily and still have room for the bottom feeders. I planted in sort of a concave pattern with the plants along the back and sides, leaving a middle area of sand for my cories. And that's including floating plants too.
Alright! Thereā€™s Co2, so this should end up a heavily planted tank regardless of how I plant, but Iā€™ll try to plant that way to leave space for the cory catfish.

Alright! Thereā€™s Co2, so this should end up a heavily planted tank regardless of how I plant, but Iā€™ll try to plant that way to leave space for the cory catfish.
You don't need to inject CO2. Too much of that is bad for the fish. The fish themselves are a source of CO2. There are plenty of plants that grow just fine without CO2.
I think you'll find that the corys will appreciate plants. My pygmy corys use plants for shelter and sometimes they like to sit on the leaves.

Most of what Iā€™m planting in the tank is stuff like swords, red broad-leafed plants, and other broad-leafed and thick species. With some dainty carpeting plants and standout species Iā€™m planning to add for flair, and some random rotala from my soon-to-be broken down betta tank. Hopefully theyā€™ll jungle up fast.

I have to disagree with the co2 being bad for fish: maybe if youā€™re injecting a lethally high dose, but if you tune just high enough to get the pearling effect, Iā€™ve never seen a problem. Most of the tanks me and some fellow hobbyists use it in are thickly planted betta tanks, and the bettas always live for a long time (5-7 years, discounting the one betta that I got that immediately died of ich.)

Last edited:
Bolivian rams are a different type: theyā€™re adapted to cooler temps. Also more peaceful. Not quite as pretty, but still beautiful.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back