Dwarf Puffers In 10 Gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sawickib

Fish Herder
Reaction score
How many complete freshwater puffers if any can I put in a ten gallon? So what species and how many? And what snails are best for them to eat, I plan on feeding them bloodworms, brine shrimp, and whatever snails work best.

Well, if you get dwarf puffs, which are the best option for a ten gallon, you can have a male and one or two females, maybe three if you keep up with your water changes. Five gallons is the minimum for a single, but it seems that you need to add two or three gallons per additional puffer. 

Mine eat pond snails, ramshorn, basically whatever I can get, they'll eat. Bloodworms are great. Blackworms. Mine won't take brine shrimp though.

Do Malaysian trumpet snails work? Ima order pond snails, ramshorn, and the trumpet snails and I'm going to breed them in my 15 gallon, would that work?

MTS are too hard and can break their teeth, from what I've read. I'd just get the pond and ramshorn snails to breed.

If you want to go a different route, you could do a single red-eye I think. There is irrubesco, lorteti, salivator, and borneensis.

I'd rather be able to get 3 puffers, but I do like the red eyes :)

I don't blame ya. I am tempted to switch my idea for my 10 from a single red eye to some dwarf puffs every time we go to the LFS. Too stinkin' cute! Hope you make a journal :)

My LFS donates the snails to me because of our strict snail laws in the area. We can't even get assassin snails legally. Since they can't sell the pest snails (mostly ramshorn and pond snails) which come in on the plants, they give them to me for free. Today, they gave me about twenty which I threw into the puffer tank instead of the snail tank because I'll be out of town. I watched Frida get two of them right before I headed out the door.

I had 3 dwarf puffers and some otto's in my 45L

My Dwarfs would attack any snail of any size, they were vicious little things - plus they ate bloodworms, frozen, dried or alive and dried food. I now have South American Puffers in a 200L - and they wont touch any snail! I am tempted to get some dwarfs to clear up my ramhorns. 

Thanks, I'm most likely not going to get any puffers, long story lol my dad is complaining.

sawickib said:
Thanks, I'm most likely not going to get any puffers, long story lol my dad is complaining.
Aw :( Well hopefully you can get some in the future!

Yea lol, I may put a male leopard in the 10 gallon and then maybe breed :p

Verso, I'm not doing the puffers in the tank anymore lol, but I have pics of my leopard geckos in the reptile section.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back