Dwarf Puffer With Red Tail And Fins?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

iSnail

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just wondering.... if anyone has kept or come across Dwarf Puffers with red tail and dorsal/anal fins??? Just to be clear, I am referring to Carinotetraodon travancoricus :) :)

You sure its not a baby Carinotetraodon Irrubesco

Definitely not red tailed red eye puffers... I was surfing on the net the other day and came across some pictures of one (or two) DPs with red tail and fins on a Taiwanese fish forum (I'm not familiar with their language anyway :p). It looks exactly like a normal DP but with red tail and fins. Don't think I'm allowed to post links to other fish forums :(

Just wondering whether that's a variation in DPs or food induced :unsure:

never seen one like you have described im intrigued, PM.d you :)

OK, here's the link to the specific DPs that I was referring to HERE.

Anyone got any idea whether it's natural or food induced or anything else :unsure: ?? I would really like to find out.

just looks like a random morph (or even photoshopped) to me.

OK, here's the link to the specific DPs that I was referring to HERE.

Anyone got any idea whether it's natural or food induced or anything else :unsure: ?? I would really like to find out.

The link didn't work right for me, but the only other puffer that's small, and has anything red on it, I would say is a C lorteti, but they don't have red fins, just the red eyes.

I'm agreeing that it could be a doctored photo.

The link didn't work right for me, but the only other puffer that's small, and has anything red on it, I would say is a C lorteti, but they don't have red fins, just the red eyes.

I'm agreeing that it could be a doctored photo.

The link is still there but the photos are gone. I wouldn't expect the photos to be still there after a year and a half though :lol: (well, the link was working earlier but not there now :/ )

If I remember correctly, they were definitely DPs and not any of the red-tailed puffers. The photos could well be colour enhanced. Since I've kept DPs for a little longer now, a couple of my males are showing a little orange in their tails too. I think it may be just how some individuals colour up and also the food they eat.

Just wondering.... if anyone has kept or come across Dwarf Puffers with red tail and dorsal/anal fins??? Just to be clear, I am referring to Carinotetraodon travancoricus :) :)
Yes! Theres an aquascaping shop in San Francisco with full grown dwarf puffers in a giant community scape with bright orange/red fins! 100% some sort of fully mature dwarf puffers (~1.25").

Most reactions

trending

Back