Dwarf, Pearl, Honey Or Opaline?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

spongy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My paradise fish are leaving today as they're too much of a handful In my tank, my LFS has agree to take them back but I would like to replace with a different type of gourami that isn't as boisterous,

My LFS currently has opaline and honey in stock but I'm considering dwarf or pearl, which ones would go best in a community tank containing cardinal tetra, black phantom tetra, some harlequins a pair of mollies and some Platys?

And which ratio of males to females each would be best? I know one male is a given, do they do ok on their own or is it best to get, say 2 females as well?

I would go for honey. The best word I can think of to describe mine is 'polite' as you can almost hear them saying to the other fish 'excuse me, would you mind if I swam past you?' but not in a shy way. Plus the colours look quite striking against my blue background. Aim for 1 male, 2 females.

I have exactly the same tank as you, and couldn't rate my honeys highly enough, but those that know my posts, know Gouramis are a fav of mine.

I initially bought one male and two females, then a week later went back in for another two females. They have such a vivid yellow colour, and the males with a slight black under chin area and red edging to the tail, females have a grey line from their eye to caudal tail fin.

They can be quite sensitive to water conditions, I have owned mine about three months now and they have been very healthy and I change 35-40% water weekly and haven't had a problem, so as long as you keep on top of your water changes they should be good.

Jenj. 'excuse me, would you mind if I swam past you?' <----- ha ha I love this!!

I have Honey Gouramis and ant rate them higher!! Best Gourami species ever!!

I only ever keep them as pairs, I found with the Honeys that the females are actually a bit more boisterous and ...well... dominant than the males lol.

I have two pairs in 300L but would happily keep 2 pairs in 125L +. Best way I found was to introduce one pair and let them get established as a pair and then introduce the second pair. My original Yellow Honeys are building nests and getting broody, the Red Pair are down other end of tank and not far behind, also in breeding colours.

Also have pair of Ticklipped Gouramis and a pair of Croaking Gouramis in the tank and a pair of Golden Gouramis soon i think and a few Sparkling Gouramis too
smile.png

Of all species... Dwarf Gouramis are the most narky and the only thing they do well and consistantly is...well..... die! Not worth having imo!

Of all species... Dwarf Gouramis are the most narky and the only thing they do well and consistantly is...well..... die! Not worth having imo!

I hate to disappoint and wish I'd seen your post earlier :-(

I bought a pair of dwarf gourami earlier and they're settling in to their new home.....

I returned the paradise fish to my local MA at Hickstead but their gourami selection was either opaline or honey, I phoned my old local MA in Brighton and they had dwarf, gold, honey thick lipped orange, chocolate, pearl and blue varieties so I drove down to have a look, I was initially after pearl as I really like the colours but was advised against due to the size they can get and can get narky as they get older, same with the opaline and blues, the chocolate looked gorgeous but my pH is way too hard for them :-(

I felt I was only left with the choice of honey and dwarf, so I went with the dwarfs :-/

I was seriously considering the honey but my Platys are very similar coloured to them so chose the dwarfs for that reason only.

I've heard the horror stories of them dying but I had them years ago and when I started this hobby and always wanted them back so I guess it's just a case of wait and see.....

Here they are anyway......
0160704C-4CE9-4EA5-ACEE-26898DF2FDD3-675-000000603D7A3E8D.jpg

97BFD636-2A36-49FA-8147-70AF532E09B1-675-000000603032B288.jpg

67CF78A2-E989-48CC-93C8-0967AAB0BC75-690-000000686A9D805E.jpg

F08825D7-1FC0-4022-A192-726EC937E9E2-690-00000069971F366C.jpg

82C4F3CB-B716-40B1-8570-A4711B965A55-690-00000069A9B9F951.jpg

The photos aren't the best, and my iPhone isn't bringing out the best in the colours, they are bright and actually quite flourescent but not as bad as the photos make out.

If it doesn't work out and I lose them then I shall be upset obviously, but I shall heed everyone's advice and go for honeys next time. But you never know, I may not need too......

Lovely colourings! I hope you get on well with them :)

How big do the Honey Gourami's get vs. the Dwarf Gourami's? I have a twelve gallon tank that I am currently doing a fish-less cycle with and I'm trying to get some more information before I decide what to stock it with. 

3-4 inches... but I think its best that they be kept in a 20 gallon tank, minimum.

I hate to argue with eaglesaquarium, but I've never had a honey gourami grow that big. I have heard the red variant grows bigger, but I've only ever had the wild colour and the yellow variant, and the ones I've had over the last 15 years have been about 2 inches max.

I know that even this forum doesn't always get everything right but they are listed in the thread in the beginner's resource centre as fish suitable for a 10 gall tank
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/116208-recommendations-for-a-10-gallon/

wink.png

My post was actually referring to Dwarf, I should have been more clear.  I've never been able to source Honeys, so I don't have any information on those.  Personally, I was delighted with the color of the dwarfs, but very upset with their longevity.  Just not a fish I plan to keep in the future, but with their sensitivity, I'd keep them in larger volumes than 10 or 12 gallons.

Argue away.  Everyone has different experiences.   I've seen larger specimens of some species of fish - larger than they are "supposed" to grow, meanwhile, I've seen others that never grow as big as they are "supposed" to get.  

Sorry, misunderstood. I agree, dwarfs do get bigger. And I agree that they need bigger tanks.

Not your fault... I was too casual about how I posted it.  I've never seen a 4 inch dwarf gourami, but that doesn't mean it can't happen... My DG was a good 3 inches, and then I read this:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/lalia.php

Common name: Dwarf Gourami
Family: Belontiidae
Order: Perciformes
Class: Actinopterygii
Maximum size: 10 cm / 4 inches
Environment: freshwater
Origin: Ganges Delta, India
Temperament: Peaceful

I'm not sure about that, but since my DG died after about 6 months with me, I wonder if perhaps he could have grown a bit more.  Either way, its not a fish I plan to keep in the future, but I truly hope that the OP has much better success than I did.  

Honestly, I never did figure it out.  All my stats were perfect, all my other fish were (and still are) quite "happy" and healthy.  Only death I've suffered in the tank in the past 12 months... :dunno:

My dwarfs died. Within a week of each other, had them for less than a month. I won't be bothering with them again. The search for a centre piece fish continues.............

Oh no sorry!! They are lovely looking fish, but that's the reason I never went down that route :(

How about the honeys then? :)

Sorry for your loss... that was pretty much my experience as well...

Honeys are hard for me to source, which is why I don't already have some... if you can find some, you may have a great deal more success.  Or one PEARL.  larger, but still quite docile.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back