Dwarf, Pearl, Honey Or Opaline?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dwarfs carry Iridovirus so die very early now. They've been bred so much that they are too inbred to live longer than a year now. Most die within the first 6 months.

Yes, its a shame.  They are great fish, really.  I had mine for about 3 months...

He had the best personality.  He's still the only fish that I've had that figured out where I thawed the bloodworms.  I always put a cube of bloodworms into an old water bottle I cut the top off.  Then I put it on top of the tank for a while to thaw out.  I looked over at the tank, and I saw him at the top jumping out of the water!  I figured there had to be something wrong with the water (it was just after a water change) and when I walked over, I realized that he wasn't jumping to get out of the water, but to try to get at the bloodworms just above the level of the water.  He never actually even reached the glass canopy, but it was awesome to watch him try!   None of the other fish even seem to recognize that bloodworms sit on top of the tank for a while before they magically fall into the tank....  

I've had Dwarf Gouramis myself & they all seem to die within a few months at most.  However, I do have one that is the natural colored red & blue striped with a silvery face and he's doing great.  They do have very distinct personalities, for instance I had a Powder Blue Dwarf named King Powder that looked like he was on steriods but he was a big baby.  I even kept him with Molly fry!  He sadly died after I had him for roughly 6 months.  This natural type I have now is a real jerk to the other fish and he hides a lot when I come near the tank, unless I'm feeding of course.  Totally different personality but still a great fish.

Back on topic, I would recommend a Pearl Gourami or even a trio depending on what else you have in your tank of course.  Your tank is roughly 45 gallons right?  EDIT: Just read back and you already have some pretty big fish in the Mollies & Platys.  Probably best off with only one.  Also, make sure you have at least 6 or 8 of the Black Phantom Tetras or they tend to become nippy and the Pearl Gourami feelers are too tempting.

Did you ever consider doing an Asian only setup, a biotope?  You already have Rasboras and you're looking to add a Gourami............... 

I had thought about a biotope tank but I couldn't resist the tetras.

I have 6 black phantom,
7 Cardinals
5 Harlequin
2 mollies
7 Platys
And 5 Corys mooching on the bottom.

Just after the last piece in the jigsaw......

The cories are also South American.

spongy said:
I had thought about a biotope tank but I couldn't resist the tetras.

I have 6 black phantom,
7 Cardinals
5 Harlequin
2 mollies
7 Platys
And 5 Corys mooching on the bottom.

Just after the last piece in the jigsaw......
Maybe give a Pearl Gourami a shot at that last piece of the puzzle.  The males are amazing with their distinct fringes on their dorsal & anal fins.  Females are usually much more timid yet their colors closely resemble the male, but they have shorter fins with no fringes & a taller body shape.  My Pearl G's are my pride & joy.............

Ruskull said:
Maybe give a Pearl Gourami a shot at that last piece of the puzzle.  The males are amazing with their distinct fringes on their dorsal & anal fins.  Females are usually much more timid yet their colors closely resemble the male, but they have shorter fins with no fringes & a taller body shape.  My Pearl G's are my pride & joy.............
That's what I was thinking, they are indeed a very good looking fish. When I as my LFS they said said that they can get a bit narky. And after what I went through with my paradise fish I don't want to disturb the tank again. Perhaps I should just take the plunge.

Although I've never been a fan of them my LFS has some awesome guppies in at the moment. Will a pearl gourami give them grief if I were to get some of these too?

Probably wouldn't recommend putting guppies with a Pearl Gourami.

I've kept both fish but never together so I can't comment on Pearl G's with Guppies.  If you're feeling brave try a male, if you want a safer bet, try a female.  My male is special, he isn't overly aggressive, just chases the female a bit here & there and she doesn't seem to mind the attention.  He never hurts her, just play nips at her back a bit with no signs of damage.

On a related note I keep my Pearl pair in a 36 gallon SE Asian biotope that also includes a female Paradise Fish & a large female Opaline Gourami.  For dithers I have (7) Glass Catfish & (6) Cherry Barbs in that tank.  The aggression between all is very mild, with the worst chasing being between the Cherry Barbs is you can believe that!  To be fair the worst aggression in any of my tanks is between the livebearers in my son's tank, go figure.

Ruskull said:
I've kept both fish but never together so I can't comment on Pearl G's with Guppies.  If you're feeling brave try a male, if you want a safer bet, try a female.  My male is special, he isn't overly aggressive, just chases the female a bit here & there and she doesn't seem to mind the attention.  He never hurts her, just play nips at her back a bit with no signs of damage.

On a related note I keep my Pearl pair in a 36 gallon SE Asian biotope that also includes a female Paradise Fish & a large female Opaline Gourami.  For dithers I have (7) Glass Catfish & (6) Cherry Barbs in that tank.  The aggression between all is very mild, with the worst chasing being between the Cherry Barbs is you can believe that!  To be fair the worst aggression in any of my tanks is between the livebearers in my son's tank, go figure.

I remember what my group of 7 were like so yes I can believe that XD

Here's a picture of my 36 gallon.  You can see the female Three Spot hovering in the middle, the male Pearl Gourami to the front right & the female Paradise Fish behind & above him swimming through the plants.  The Glass Cat Clan is below in the center:

DSCN2526_zps2c6c65dc.jpg

DSCN2525_zps46430bd1.jpg

2012-10-03_17-11-40_40.jpg

DSCN0198A.jpg

This last picture is over a year ago, when the Pearl Gourami male was just starting to grow his fringes........

Paradise<3 said:

I remember what my group of 7 were like so yes I can believe that XD

I believe that schooling fish tend to fight amongst themselves when they really want to show the larger fish not to mess with them.  As if to say "You don't want any of this do you?" LOL

I just realized how dated my signature picture is, I really need to update it as half of the fish shown are no longer in that tank!

Yes, mine it was mainly the 2 male fighting over the females in my tank lol.

With Cherry Barbs I believe pairs are best, with a minimum of 3 Pair per tank.  I say this because the females tend to bicker themselves as well, plus I read it somewhere before I bought them LOL

I always try to research my fish before taking the plunge, and I commend the threadstarter for asking questions before taking the risk.

Ruskull said:
With Cherry Barbs I believe pairs are best, with a minimum of 3 Pair per tank.  I say this because the females tend to bicker themselves as well, plus I read it somewhere before I bought them LOL

I always try to research my fish before taking the plunge, and I commend the threadstarter for asking questions before taking the risk.

I actually got given them as a group of 7 and the females never fought unless it was with a male that wanted to breed when they didn't :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back