Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dwarf Hairgrass

Discussion in 'Planted Chit Chat' started by ~T~, Feb 9, 2007.

1. ~T~

~T~ Member

Could I grow some of this in a wee glass fish bowl on my front window do you think?I would use florabase as a substrate.

2. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

According to the tropica website, both the Eleocharis they do will be ok down to 15C so as long as its in a warmish room I would think the temp wouldn't matter.

Sam

3. ~T~

~T~ Member

Cheers man, in my search for info I found a site that says it grows native in Scotland.I just couldnt find the site again to make sure.Would I get much growth without CO2? It would be on a front window so would get direct sunlight and be planted in florabase.

4. MHunt

MHunt I think therefore I shouldn't

You could use CO2 tablets, cheaper than pressurised, and less messy than yeast. PFK used one on their demo subscription tank. Probably give a better dose than anything else for a small tank too.

5. ~T~

~T~ Member

See there wont be any fish in there so I wont worry about overdosing the CO2.I have sera CO2 tablets, would these be of use and if so its not just a case of dropping them in is it?

6. MHunt

MHunt I think therefore I shouldn't

I think it was the sera tablets they used in pfk. They had a plastic diffuser that stuck to the side of the tank. I guess you'd just have to look at the instructions as to the dosage and useage. But like you say if you have no fish, then ODing on CO2 wouldn't be a problem.

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

The sera kits are pretty useless IMHO, if you miss a day/tablet there will be no CO2 in the tank which isnt a good idea at all. The diffusion rate is also probably pretty low so I doubt if you'll get 30ppm, let alone OD the stuff. This is why most people use yeast, by far the most effective for the money :)

Sam