Dwarf Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This Old Spouse

TOTM Winner May 2013
Reaction score
Hi all,

Do you think, now that my tank is 8 months old (fully cycled), that I could successfully get some dwarf gouramis? Does anyone know about the weird disease and whether going into an established tank would possibly up the chances that they'd NOT get the disease?

I really love these fish, but I don't want to go through what I did when I first got my tank, losing half a dozen of them.
shout.gif

I'm only new to fishkeeping and have just addeed a pair of dwarf gourami's to my 180l community tank and they seem to be doing fine. I think as long as they look healthy in the shop and you quarantine them if you can before putting them in then they're brilliant little fish :)

But as i said.... i'm very new, this is just from research i've done before getting mine.

Also can i ask... what symptoms did your dwarf gourami show? (just so i know what to look out for) i've read open sores, lethargy and not eating are the signs of "dwarf gourami disease"?

Dwarf gourami disease can take a long time to manifest. I'm kind of looking for folks who have had long-term success. Hope yours do well!

I'm only new to fishkeeping and have just addeed a pair of dwarf gourami's to my 180l community tank and they seem to be doing fine. I think as long as they look healthy in the shop and you quarantine them if you can before putting them in then they're brilliant little fish :)

But as i said.... i'm very new, this is just from research i've done before getting mine.

Also can i ask... what symptoms did your dwarf gourami show? (just so i know what to look out for) i've read open sores, lethargy and not eating are the signs of "dwarf gourami disease"?

Those are pretty much the symptoms. But mine didn't really show any signs of lethargy, just the open sores. One of mine had an open sore for about 2 months before he finally died. Another didn't show any sores at all, but when he died he had a big lump. Looked like some kind of parasite.

It was just horrible to watch. I won't get any more until I'm a little more sure of myself. There were some beautiful ones at the LFS, but even one of those was hanging out at the bottom of the tank and not moving much. I knew there was a problem because normally they like to spend their time in the top third of the tank mostly.

I thought DGD is more of a genetic problem (lower immunity) than an actual disease that one can catch. Anyway why not get a Honey gourami instead? They are more peaceful (apparently) than dwarf gouramis.

Adrian

My DGs were very peaceful while they were alive. And they're SO beautiful.
wub.gif

Personally I believe that Honey G's can get it too! I've had similar probs, in the near on a year that I've had fish I've had 5 Honeys and all have lasted no more than 2 months before displaying similar symptoms to above and then died. So when I had to euthanise the last 2 I decided enough was enough and bought some Sparklers instead who health wise I've had much more luck with.

I've wondered the same as you though (established tank) coz Honeys are my absolute fav and I'm a bit indifferent towards the Sparklers. Would love to think I could get some more Honeys.

I just lost my dwarf gourami after fighting for almost a year to keep him healthy. I believe he lasted as long as he did because I did frequent water changes (every other day, up to 50%).

It broke my heart- this was my first fish, and I rescued him from neglect at work. He was such an awesome little guy, but I would never own a dwarf gourami again. I kept hoping that his various issues weren't the isovirus, but it became more evident toward the end that it did indeed seem to be dwarf gourami disease.

Sorry I don't have a better story to share...I've read that up to 25% of them have the virus, and there is no treatment, so it's a gamble if you'll get a "good" one or not. For me, I don't want to get attached knowing there's a good chance the fish could die (I had my cat's eye removed for a 10% risk of cancer- I don't like risk). I also don't want to support the pet trade that breeds these guys knowing so many are sick.

I've had my pair of powder blue since december last year,i lost the first male within a week of getting them,but since touch wood this pair seems to be doing good :good:

When I was researching them, I found it was better to keep them in a group 1 male, 2-3 females. I bought a male which died but I think that was the 'care' my friend gave him while I was away :(

I have lost a pair to DGD two years ago, they were so good together great little fish. I euthanised them when the sores got so bad they looked so miserable.

Recently gave in and bought another pair (after two years) and they both died within days!! The male went completely insane and rushed round the tank bashing into things...he finally spun in a spiral so curled up that I thought he must break then fell dead! I took him and the female out and quarantined her again...checked the water which was fine(I have cichlids in there so needs to be fine) and she died by the following morning.

So apparently it was stress, but not from me from the way they are transported in large groups.I always take my time introducing fish to tank and buy from places usually (but not this time) that quarantine their fish before selling them. I have learned my lesson with the sad and stressful death of my poor little fish,I won't have dwarf G's again I won't encourage this kind of breeding etc.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back