Dwarf Gouramis And Snails

vgames33

Reaction score
After finding that my 22g tank has cycled and is ready to go, I also found that I am soon to be overrun with snails. There are eggs everywhere on my plants. I had wanted to put some dwarf gouramis and cory cats in there, but I want to make sure that they will eat snails before adding anything, just in case I have to kill the snails some other way.

Also, how does 3 dwarfs (1 male, 2 female) and 4 cory cats (not sure what variety I want yet) sound? Any known aggression between the two species?

They won't eat snails. Pretty much the only things that will are a couple of loach species and some cichlids, which are unsuitable for your tank.

They pond snails? I've got them in my tank unfortunately - all I've been doing really is pulling them out at water changes, and that keeps their numbers down. Also overfeeding can cause them to increase their numbers.

Since you have no fish yet I might make a suggestion...these things are a royal pain, unsightly and nigh impossible to get rid of. However, there are some snail treatments out there, most people don't take the risk because these things are so noxious they often hurt the fish as well, and sometimes the biological filter.
BUT since you don't have any fish yet - it might be worth nuking your tank with a snail treatment before you do. Then your snail problem is cured, and you haven't got the worry of harming your fish. You may have to wait a little while for your tank to recycle again, but it would be worth it having no snails IMO. Just make sure you vac up all the carcasses too - thats another prob with the treatments, all the dead snails rotting cause ammonia spikes.

P.S. You should have no aggression problems, and a M/F/F ratio is the best to have :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back