Duel sponge filter

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Would a duel sponge filter like the below be sufficient for a 64 litre fish tank?
Screenshot_20191029-104154_eBay.jpg

64 liters is about 15.9 US gallons. This filter, with some exception, is 'okay' for a for a smaller 5-10g tank, but depending on stocking level, fish size/types, maintenance, quantity of plants, etc., just might not produce the desired results. These filters are really good at biological filtration, but poor at mechanical filtration. Small sponge filters typically only work when there's few fish, lots of fast growing plants, increased tank maintenance and/or larger/more frequent partial water changes.
If you're willing to do the extra maintenance and more/larger water changes, then fine....but (just my $.02) I'd probably opt for a bit more filtration.

Thanks everyone,

Had 2 choices between a 64 or 54 litre. Gone with the 54 because it was a better quality tank and come with an internal filter so with that and the sponge filter i should be fine.

I have one of those exact same filters in each of my 20g, 29g, and 40g tanks. All of these have fairly quiet fish (not active swimmers) and this is the best filter bar none for such set-ups. It keeps the water crystal clear, and provides minimal water current, though this is more than one might think if you test it. But it is ideal for smallish fish that do not require strong currents.

Photo below is the 40g and you can just make out the dual sponge in the right rear corner behind a stump of wood.

Attachments

• 40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    40g April 20-18 (2).JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 89
It bears noting that Byron's established tanks are so heavily planted, lightly stocked, and have fast growing floating plants, so any filter is almost optional. :) Oh and he does 75% weekly water changes.

Very true. And I was making some assumptions which is perhaps dangerous when they are not confirmed, but I was assuming that in a 20g tank the OP will not have active swimmers or largish fish. Either would change things.

I have one of those exact same filters in each of my 20g, 29g, and 40g tanks. All of these have fairly quiet fish (not active swimmers) and this is the best filter bar none for such set-ups. It keeps the water crystal clear, and provides minimal water current, though this is more than one might think if you test it. But it is ideal for smallish fish that do not require strong currents.

Photo below is the 40g and you can just make out the dual sponge in the right rear corner behind a stump of wood.
Love that tank Byron :good:

I have one along side an internal filter in my 29 gallon and i use this to take out to put in my quarantine tank if needed. Ive purchased a second one to replace this so i can put the cycled sponge filter in the new tank.

For my future reference

You mentioned youve run sponge filters upto your 40g tank but had fairly quiet none active fish. Would you say i could run my 29g with the duel sponge filter along with the following stocking

6 zebra danios 6 cherry barbs 6 cardinal tetra 6 cory 1bn pleco

Thinking my internal filters quite bulky and could make more space for my fish to swim around if i can run just the sponge.

New tank will be planted and lightly stocked. Most probably be a single male betta or a trio of honey gourami's. So i think just the sponge will be fine here.

I do 50 to 75% water changes weekly on all my tanks :)

I even have them in my goldie tanks along with HOB’s Funny, but when I added the sponges the nitrates quit going up as high before tank cleaning day.

Love that tank Byron :good:

I have one along side an internal filter in my 29 gallon and i use this to take out to put in my quarantine tank if needed. Ive purchased a second one to replace this so i can put the cycled sponge filter in the new tank.

For my future reference

You mentioned youve run sponge filters upto your 40g tank but had fairly quiet none active fish. Would you say i could run my 29g with the duel sponge filter along with the following stocking

6 zebra danios 6 cherry barbs 6 cardinal tetra 6 cory 1bn pleco

Thinking my internal filters quite bulky and could make more space for my fish to swim around if i can run just the sponge.

New tank will be planted and lightly stocked. Most probably be a single male betta or a trio of honey gourami's. So i think just the sponge will be fine here.

I do 50 to 75% water changes weekly on all my tanks :)

Yes. While Zebra danios are certainly an active fish, they are still relatively small and not demanding of strong water currents. One frequently reads they are, but that is simply false.

Contrary to what some maintain, they do not require a strong flow from the filter, as substantiated by reports describing their habitat. Engeszer's 2007 survey indicates this fish inhabits calm, shaded areas in streams and smaller rivers, moving into seasonal tributaries and pools to spawn during the monsoon season. Another case of scientific fact dispelling long-held myths. :nod:

I woould increase the cories though, here suggesting 8-9.

Thanks Byron, once my new sponge filter cycles i might make more room and take my internal filter out in that case.

I woould increase the cories though, here suggesting 8-9.

Ive been debating this the last couple of weeks in upping my schools.

Not sure i have space to up all of them but would upping my corys be more beneficial to them than say upping the zebras or cherrys.

Thanks Byron, once my new sponge filter cycles i might make more room and take my internal filter out in that case.

Ive been debating this the last couple of weeks in upping my schools.

Not sure i have space to up all of them but would upping my corys be more beneficial to them than say upping the zebras or cherrys.

Yes. While there is no doubt that the larger the group the "better" the fish will be, health-wise, this is more applicable to cories than the other species. This is not to say they would not be better as well. There is nothing to prevent increasing all of them, frankly.

image.jpeg
I'm starting to really like sponge filters. @Byron has noted that filters circulate the water as a benefit more than actually cleaning the water and that their home for beneficial bacteria is their greatest asset. Sponge filters will never trap fry or stop working mechanically due to a stuck impeller or some such thing. The dark color blends well and they are cheap to operate. No cartridges or anything else to buy. I'm using this one in a 20 gallon. It's big at 4" tall and 4.5 inches in diameter but I like it.

Yes. While there is no doubt that the larger the group the "better" the fish will be, health-wise, this is more applicable to cories than the other species. This is not to say they would not be better as well. There is nothing to prevent increasing all of them, frankly.

Was thinking of upping my cherrys and zebras to 8 or 9 a group. I suppose adding 3 more pandas to the tank shouldnt be a problem with me doing large weekly water changes.

Sounds like a plan

Cheers Byron :drinks:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back