Duckweed

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

robert1305

Reaction score
I have a large planter in the garden that holds 20gl water on top is a very lush and healthy duckweed.
Could I put this into my tropical aquarium, it has a glass cover a 1/4" above the level of water.
Is there sufficient space for it to survive ?

Regards Bob

You could, but it goes everywhere - including all over your hands and arms when you have them in the tank. Its a challenge to get rid of them if you decide to change. I have previously had this in a couple of tanks and it took months to get rid of all traces. Every time you think its all gone some more will pop up a few weeks later.

I'm a great fan of floating plants but you may be better off with water sprite. Amazon frogbit may be a good choice although it does not like too much humidity, so could be a problem if your cover is fitted.

+1 on water sprite as a very nice, fast growing floating plant.
I got duckweed as a 'bonus' with another plant (guppy grass I think) from our club meeting auction. It is very prolific and can be a bit of a pest plant (like how many feel about excess snails). On the other hand it is very prolific, does aid in water purification, and can be a food source for some fish and turtles. I typically skim a layer off of some tanks during weekly water changes to keep it under control.

One additional word of caution. Duckweed can form a mat layer on the surface that could impede the gas exchange of CO2/O2 unless there is sufficient surface turbulence.

One additional word of caution. Duckweed can form a mat layer on the surface that could impede the gas exchange of CO2/O2 unless there is sufficient surface turbulence.
any floating plant can do that :)

Oh and it can catch the food and prevent it dropping. Make sure you clear a path before feeding.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back