Dry rock in filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Apwhite

Reaction score
I have around 3lbs of caribsea base rock left after setting up my tank. I’ve heard that it’s beneficial to put crushed live rock in the filter. Would it be helpful to do this with dry rock as well? Also, can someone upload a picture so I can know what it looks like/how it fits in a filter?

Not really, live rock is preferred. You could throw it in there just so it can start the process of becoming live rock.

Do you have a sump?

Not really, live rock is preferred. You could throw it in there just so it can start the process of becoming live rock.

Do you have a sump?
I do not have a sump. It’s a 10g and I heard it was not crucial for a tank that small. Do you think it’s worth it to add dry rock in the filter to start the process of becoming live? Or should I just save it for something else?

You can add rubble and it will colonize similar to how the ceramic rings used in fw work. However, it should have some finer mechanical filtration before it or it will turn into a nasty sludge pile that doesn't do much for filtration and blocks flow, and it will be difficult to clean. If there's not a lot of space in the filter then it might be better to save it for possibly running something like phosphate remover (assuming you don't have a skimmer - if you do then you probably don't need that). If there is space, have the water flow through filter pads first and change them regularly.

For a point of comparison, a long time ago I had a big canister filter on a 55gal (which also had a bunch of live rock in the main tank), and I had a stage for prefilter pads then phosphate remover and then rubble, which ended up colonizing not just with bacteria but also beneficial sponges. Worked really well but it was pretty roomy inside.

I do not have a sump. It’s a 10g and I heard it was not crucial for a tank that small. Do you think it’s worth it to add dry rock in the filter to start the process of becoming live? Or should I just save it for something else?
Is it an internal filter?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back