FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Brookenv

Reaction score
My betta has had a swollen belly for the past couple of days. He's still swimming around, wanting to eat, and overall acting pretty normal. I'm worried because after researching I discovered something as horrible as dropsy exists. I've looked at the all the symptoms and looked at Bruce. There could be slight pine-coning, but I could also be paranoid and assuming the worst after looking at so many pictures. Other than that, just the belly bloat. I don't think he has any red spots, but he does have red coloring. His eyes look fine. Still has an appetite. Isn't as active, but still swims around a good bit. I gave him a pea as soon as I noticed the bloating start. Today I gave him him daphnia. I've read to bathe him in Epsom salt, but he has two Nerite snail tankmates. He also lives with a corydora, a molly, and a platy, so I'm not only worried for him, but them too. I couldn't get any decent pictures, but will try to take some tomorrow.

Also, I tested the water tonight. Everything is good, but nitrates were a little high. Temp is 80*F. Tank is 10 G.

I would stop feeding him for a few days to see if it makes a difference, bettas are little pigs and are prone to overeating, please don't worry about not feeding him for a while he will be fine, if you notice his belly go down over a couple of days then it is due to over eating if not then it may be due to something more sinister such as dropsy, will await the pic.
Also epsom salt baths can be performed outside of the tank away from the snails if need be, 30 mins soak should be fine per day.

Thanks for the tips! He is such a pig...he thought he was going to bed as I was taking the pictures. And great, I'll do the Epsom salt bath today!

Attachments

• IMG_8497.JPG
    IMG_8497.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_8498.JPG
    IMG_8498.JPG
    456.8 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_8505.JPG
    IMG_8505.JPG
    391.3 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_8531.JPG
    IMG_8531.JPG