Dr. Tims Aquatics Ammonium Chloride solution

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Has anyone used this and if so was it good? If this isnt good whats something else I should use? Please note I have chose to do a silent cycle not a plant cycle, not fish in cycle, just a fishless silent cycle... So this is the method I want.

A silent cycle is a plant cycle, just another name for the same thing. A fishless cycle using ammonia is not a silent cycle.

That ammonium chloride is good, it was made for fishless cycling. But you can't use the ammonia section in the forum's calculator to work out how much to add. The bottle says to use 4 drops per US gallon, but that's the actual amount of water which will be less than the volume the manufacturer says (they include the couple of inches of air between the water and the top of the tank). So add about 3/4 of the amount you think, wait half an hour for it to mix in then test for ammonia. If i's less than 3 ppm, add a bit more. Make sure you make a note of the total number of drops you use.

A silent cycle is a plant cycle, just another name for the same thing. A fishless cycle using ammonia is not a silent cycle.

That ammonium chloride is good, it was made for fishless cycling. But you can't use the ammonia section in the forum's calculator to work out how much to add. The bottle says to use 4 drops per US gallon, but that's the actual amount of water which will be less than the volume the manufacturer says (they include the couple of inches of air between the water and the top of the tank). So add about 3/4 of the amount you think, wait half an hour for it to mix in then test for ammonia. If i's less than 3 ppm, add a bit more. Make sure you make a note of the total number of drops you use.
Ok will do. How much time should I wait before testing for ammonia? 30 minutes?

That's long enough for it to mix in (provided the filter is turned on of course ;) )

Yes absolutely. Also is it ok to just have sand in the aquarium while cycling?
That's long enough for it to mix in (provided the filter is turned on of course ;) )

Yes, you can put any decor in during cycling. Something to bear in mind is that if you put live plants in, they will make the cycle a bit different as they take up ammonia as well as the good bacteria but they don't turn it into nitrite. But no other decor will affect the cycle.

Yes, you can put any decor in during cycling. Something to bear in mind is that if you put live plants in, they will make the cycle a bit different as they take up ammonia as well as the good bacteria but they don't turn it into nitrite. But no other decor will affect the cycle.
No, I was more asking if I can do the cycle with just the sand while I prepare the other decor...

Just the substrate is OK to do :)
Yay that will definitely save time and decrease the initial price. After or while cycling I will add other decor in like driftwood or the dragon rock. Thanks!

Ok will do. How much time should I wait before testing for ammonia? 30 minutes?
Why are you so in a hurry ? Give 4-5 weeks to naturally cycle your tank and start checking in 4 weeks.

Why are you so in a hurry ? Give 4-5 weeks to naturally cycle your tank and start checking in 4 weeks.
I'm going to use ammonium to cycle it. This process will take 6 weeks.

Why adding ammonium ? No need to add ammonium as it will appear naturally.

Ammonium appears narurally with fish in the tank but in going to be doing a fishless cycle. I feel it's more humane.

Ammonium appears narurally with fish in the tank but in going to be doing a fishless cycle. I feel it's more humane.
NOPE !
No need to add anything to naturally cycle a tank.
How do you think our elders cycled without any gadgets ?
I never ever add ammonium and cycle has always naturally be done.
All what is needed is substrate, plants, light, and water. That is all.

Many people do not want to have live plants, and in this case it is better to use ammonia to cycle the tank before fish are added.
Even when people do want plants but only one or maybe two slow growing plants, again it is better to cycle with ammonia first.

The OP may or may not want live plants @Rocky998 can you give us an idea of what you plan for plants, if any?

Most reactions

trending

Back