Dont Ever Get Serpea Tetras

youngfisher

Marine Keeper..
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
3,105
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
Well, thats imo.

My girlfriends uncle has 6 serpeas, 6 glowlights, 3 rummynose tetras. I told him to get another 3 serpeas to make 6 (this was when he had 3) so he did do. This made them worse!

3 glowlights - dead.

2 glowlights - no fins, been bitten off.

1 rummynose - dead.

1 rummynose - swimming irratically on its side.

so it leaves 6 serpeas (unharmed at all), 1 rummynose, which is fairly big. and 1 glowlight that hides in the corner 24/7.

I have got him to put the glowlights and rummynose's in his fry tank for now.

This has put me off serpeas all together now.
 
Serpaes can be nippy but I've never heard of it to that extreme. I had them in my 29 gallon for a couple years. They were with pristellas, red-eyes and corys and I never had any problems with them.
 
Eh, maybe I had some 'gangster fish' that wanted there 'crib' to themselfs lol
 
They are most likely being kept in too small a tank, or the water stats are off, making them act unusually aggressive
 
They've got a reputation for being nippy at the best of times (though I've heard of exceptions.)
 
they were nippywhen I hd them but not to that extent
 
I had 6 smallish serpaes in a 65 gallon who were absoluty HORRIBLE from the day I got them to the day I got rid of them ( about 1 week)

They swam around in a little gang terrorizing all tank mates non stop. Most tank mates were able to handle the abuse as they were in schools as well but not my lone dwarf gourami :( They had it so she couldn't even come out of her hiding spot without being beaten up. She died from the stress/abuse just after I got rid of them :( :( :(

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! nasty litle fish even in a 65 gallon.
 
Well, thats imo.

My girlfriends uncle has 6 serpeas, 6 glowlights, 3 rummynose tetras. I told him to get another 3 serpeas to make 6 (this was when he had 3) so he did do. This made them worse!

3 glowlights - dead.

2 glowlights - no fins, been bitten off.

1 rummynose - dead.

1 rummynose - swimming irratically on its side.

so it leaves 6 serpeas (unharmed at all), 1 rummynose, which is fairly big. and 1 glowlight that hides in the corner 24/7.

I have got him to put the glowlights and rummynose's in his fry tank for now.

This has put me off serpeas all together now.

yeah, stay away from silver tip tetras too then. they took over my tank.. it was ridiculous. they were the smallest tetra i had and all the rest ran away from them. Red eye tetras are also bad news. I really don't know why aggressive tetras are so commonly sold.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top