Doing this for a month need help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I would suggest removing those expensive bags of carbon, they really do not do much and are only good for removing medication and replacing them with sponge filters.
I agree. Just cut a piece of sponge to the same size. Those carbon bags need to be replaced regularly. Good business for the suppliers but every time you do so you are throwing out some of the good bacteria you have built up. Sponge will last forever, or very nearly.

I really appreciate the overwhelming information and suggestions. @utahfish based off of what you told me Iā€™m going to go ahead and give my Mollyā€™s and guppy to my LFS. Iā€™m going to make it a cory and tetra tank instead of mixing fish which you had mentioned wasnā€™t good. Iā€™m going to go ahead and purchase the Tetra Safe Start plus and some plants that someone had suggested for the ammonia. When I get home Iā€™m going to do a 75% water change and make sure to clean my gravel also. I havenā€™t changed the filter media in my filter since I got the tank about a month ago and do have a replacement what should I do with that? Or should I leave the old filter and just wash it with the aquarium water?

edit: how much fish is ideal for a 10 gallon tank
Like i said a ten gallon isnt really ideal for any tetras other than maybe ember tetras which are about an inch long and need to be in atleast a 2ft long tank too shoal in groups of at least 6. Most corydora get too big for a group of 6 in a 10 gallon. Dwarf corydora that stay under an inch would be ok.
Tem gallon tanks are good for bettas, some guppies because they dont shoal. Maybe endlers or other nano species fish or a pair of pygmy gourami like sparkling gourami and shrimp and snails. Most everything else gets too big or needs to be in groups of 6 or more.

Like i said a ten gallon isnt really ideal for any tetras other than maybe ember tetras which are about an inch long and need to be in atleast a 2ft long tank too shoal in groups of at least 6. Most corydora get too big for a group of 6 in a 10 gallon. Dwarf corydora that stay under an inch would be ok.
Tem gallon tanks are good for bettas, some guppies because they dont shoal. Maybe endlers or other nano species fish or a pair of pygmy gourami like sparkling gourami and shrimp and snails. Most everything else gets too big or needs to be in groups of 6 or more.
Gotcha, sorry for the confusion. I really dont enjoy having small fish that I can barely see. Would you recomended upgrading to a 20 gallon tank then? I would be okay with buying one and setting one up. And then keeping the 10gallon for a betta.

I agree with @utahfish I have a shoal of 10 ember tetras in my 55 gallon tetra tank. Nice little fish but with their shoals they need room to swim. A 20 gallon long would work. 10 gallon tanks are just too small for many fish.

Gotcha, sorry for the confusion. I really dont enjoy having small fish that I can barely see. Would you recomended upgrading to a 20 gallon tank then? I would be okay with buying one and setting one up. And then keeping the 10gallon for a betta.
20 long is perfect for tetras.
Neons, black neons, glo lights, rummy nose, flame tetra, candycane tetra emperor tetra penguin tetra all about an inch inch and a half long dont create much waste need to be kept in a group of at least 6. Id suggest keeping 2 groups of atleast 6 of two different tetras as it decreases aggression between onegroup. So like 6 neons and 6 black neons would do well then a group of dwarf coydora or even panda cory as the only get about 3 inches. Corydora need sand tetras need plants, plan accordingly.

If you didnt like those tetras you could mix small rasboras like a group of harlequin rasboras with a group of tetras, or a group of dwarf pencil fish with a group of tetra. Both of which get about an inch inch and a half and share same water parameters.

If you didnt like those tetras you could mix small rasboras like a group of harlequin rasboras with a group of tetras, or a group of dwarf pencil fish with a group of tetra. Both of which get about an inch inch and a half and share same water parameters.
Does the hardness and the softness of the water really matter that much? Just curious. How many plants can I have in a 20 gallon without over stocking? Should I keep fish that are usually compatible with the same water quality? How many total fish do you recommend to keep in a 20 gallon tank? I already purchased one from a friend and looking forward to cycling it soon. Should I also get a sponge filter for the 20 gallon?

The lives of the fish will be shorten if they are in the wrong water and it can also stress them. I would get a sponge filter not as expensive and does a good job and easy to clean when the time comes, Sponge is also cheaper to replace than carbon filter

Last edited:
Does the hardness and the softness of the water really matter that much? Just curious. How many plants can I have in a 20 gallon without over stocking? Should I keep fish that are usually compatible with the same water quality? How many total fish do you recommend to keep in a 20 gallon tank? I already purchased one from a friend and looking forward to cycling it soon. Should I also get a sponge filter for the 20 gallon?

Yes, the GH [general hardness, which is the measurement of dissolved hard minerals (calcium and magnesium) in the water] does matter. Some lovely fish have been suggested in this thread, but without knowing the GH they may or may not be suitable. The Gh you should be able to ascertain from your water authority, check their website. The pH is also important and it was given as 7.6 but this can change depending upon the GH so we still need to know that.

Did you get a 20g high (standard) which is 24 inches (60 cm) long by 12 in (30 cm) wide, or a 20g long which is 30 inches (75 cm) long by 12 in (30 cm)? The filter should be geared toward the fish's needs in terms of water current. Slow sedate fish do not appreciate having to fight a strong current, while active swimming fish usually like some water current. The filter is your source of water movement, more important than the actual filtration.

Yup listen to byron on this, keeping fish in the correct water is essential to healthy fish.
Fishs bodies have evolved over thousands of years to adapt to their environment. Putting them in water their bodies arent evolved to live in causes stress and health issues which cause shortened lives aggression disease and premature death. Just more to worry about in a hobby where theres already enough to worry about when keeping fish in a contained glass box of water in a basement.save yourself the trouble and keep the fish in the right water for theirs and your sake

So this is what I think Iā€™m going with. I got the 20g long tank that I will be using it as a tetra and Cory tank with lots of plants and make sure to use sand as a substrate for the cories. I will use a sponge filter and need suggestions for an air pump or something to agitate the water.

As for the other 10g tank Iā€™ve went ahead and did a 75% water change and added the Tetra Safe Start plus.My LFS is willing to take back the mollies and guppy I got from them and at some point I am going to convert the 10g tank into a betta tank. Thoughts?

So this is what I think Iā€™m going with. I got the 20g long tank that I will be using it as a tetra and Cory tank with lots of plants and make sure to use sand as a substrate for the cories. I will use a sponge filter and need suggestions for an air pump or something to agitate the water.

As for the other 10g tank Iā€™ve went ahead and did a 75% water change and added the Tetra Safe Start plus.My LFS is willing to take back the mollies and guppy I got from them and at some point I am going to convert the 10g tank into a betta tank. Thoughts?

Sounds good...but we really need to know the GH of your source water. I can think of many options here.

A sponge filter is about the best filter for small tanks like this one. I have had sponge filters in tanks up to 40g, using a Fusion Quiet Power Air Pump with a gang valve. Another good option, and in my view perhaps even simpler, is to get a small internal filter; in my 30g and 40g with cories I now use an Aqueon Quiet Flow internal filter; it is just a small motor and the "cartridges" need only be rinsed every water change and not replaced. The benefit of this filter is that the water movement can be a bit stronger than any sponge filter will deliver, and with cories I have found this a benefit. Some cories like romping in a gentle current, some rarely do, but this little filter gives them the option. A Aqueon Quiet Flow rated for a 20g would be all you need.

Play Sand is ideal for tanks with cories; natural looking, very safe.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back