Doin A 50% Water Change

swaddell13

New Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
50
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Chandler, Arizona
okay so tomorrow im gonna do a 50 % water change to help my no3 and kh

my question is... i have 19 fish in my 20 gallon tank... im planning on cleaning the sculptures and what not and try and clean the gravel as best i can(ive been over feeding :( )
... should i take my fish out or leave them in? will they be overly stressed by all this?

should i do a 25 % today and 25% tomorrow?

thanks for the help
 
50% change will be fine so long as your filter is not off for too long. Personally i would try and clean everything first then do a water change, this way you reduce the time the filter is out of water.

Almost all of the good bacteria live in your filter, so i would worry about that before i would worry about cleaning my fish's favourite castle!!
 
Keep your fish in yes they will freak out a bit but they get over it and learn it's not scary. Getting fish useto this will cause them less stress then moveing them every time you clean the tank. I have done a 80% water change and cleaned décor with my fish still in the tank not problem.
 
Keep your fish in yes they will freak out a bit but they get over it and learn it's not scary. Getting fish useto this will cause them less stress then moveing them every time you clean the tank. I have done a 80% water change and cleaned décor with my fish still in the tank not problem.

Ditto. I do a 100% water change everyday on my Discus tank and my fish are nice and healthy! :good:
 
Keep your fish in yes they will freak out a bit but they get over it and learn it's not scary. Getting fish useto this will cause them less stress then moveing them every time you clean the tank. I have done a 80% water change and cleaned décor with my fish still in the tank not problem.

Ditto. I do a 100% water change everyday on my Discus tank and my fish are nice and healthy! :good:

are they not flapping around on the gravel if your taking all the water out?
 
Keep your fish in yes they will freak out a bit but they get over it and learn it's not scary. Getting fish useto this will cause them less stress then moveing them every time you clean the tank. I have done a 80% water change and cleaned décor with my fish still in the tank not problem.

Ditto. I do a 100% water change everyday on my Discus tank and my fish are nice and healthy! :good:

are they not flapping around on the gravel if your taking all the water out?

:lol:
 
I always leave the fishies where they are and I alway give the grave a clean at the same time as doing a water change. The Platies dont seem to like it so much but the Golden Rams seem to think the syphon is the most interesting thing in the world!
 
Keep your fish in yes they will freak out a bit but they get over it and learn it's not scary. Getting fish useto this will cause them less stress then moveing them every time you clean the tank. I have done a 80% water change and cleaned décor with my fish still in the tank not problem.

Ditto. I do a 100% water change everyday on my Discus tank and my fish are nice and healthy! :good:

:/
 
I do 50% changes on all my tanks every week. I do not remove any fish, there's no need to, and I definitely do not turn off the filters unless they need to be serviced/rinsed. As long as the intake is submerged and the filter still running there's no real need to turn it off.

Unless you have extremely nervous or jump fish who might go ballistic at the sight of a syphon, you shouldn't need to remove anyone.
 
I do big waterchanges weekly.

But I remove a bucketful, then pour in a new bucketful, then remove a bucketful, then pour in a bucketful etc.
 
my filter is the kind with the disposable filter and 6 little disc's that keep the nasty crap (or the good bacteria haha) so that way its not like im removing all the bacteria.

thanks for the tips guys, i think ill take out the ornaments first, one at a time, clean those, then clean the gravel as good as i can....

then ill feed them much less haha

stats from yesterday:
gh:180
kh:240
ph:6.5-7
no2:0
no3:160

fish in tank:
20 gallon
1 chinese algae eater
1 emerald cory catfish
1 albino cory catfish
1 red tuxedo guppy
1 tequila sunrise guppy
5 red platys
6 baby white/dalmatian mollies
1 adult dalmatian molly
1 creamcicle molly
1 african dwarf frog

thanks again guys
 
Keep your fish in yes they will freak out a bit but they get over it and learn it's not scary. Getting fish useto this will cause them less stress then moveing them every time you clean the tank. I have done a 80% water change and cleaned décor with my fish still in the tank not problem.

Ditto. I do a 100% water change everyday on my Discus tank and my fish are nice and healthy! :good:

are they not flapping around on the gravel if your taking all the water out?


No gravel. Gravel has no place in a Discus tank.

Keep your fish in yes they will freak out a bit but they get over it and learn it's not scary. Getting fish useto this will cause them less stress then moveing them every time you clean the tank. I have done a 80% water change and cleaned décor with my fish still in the tank not problem.

Ditto. I do a 100% water change everyday on my Discus tank and my fish are nice and healthy! :good:

:/

I am going to disregard that smiley face, as you obviously know nothing about keeping and growing out juvy Discus.

stats after 50%

gh- 180
kh - 180
ph- 6.5
no2- 0
no3- 40

how do i get the gh and kh lower, i posted my fish above


Gh/Kh are the hardness of your water. I don't know a whole lot about this part of fish keeping, but it's kind of odd that your hardness is high and pH is low, normally their either both high or both low. Don't really worry about messing around with pH or Gh/Kh though, your fish will be fine in the water you have.
 
Keep your fish in yes they will freak out a bit but they get over it and learn it's not scary. Getting fish useto this will cause them less stress then moveing them every time you clean the tank. I have done a 80% water change and cleaned décor with my fish still in the tank not problem.

Ditto. I do a 100% water change everyday on my Discus tank and my fish are nice and healthy! :good:

are they not flapping around on the gravel if your taking all the water out?


No gravel. Gravel has no place in a Discus tank.

Keep your fish in yes they will freak out a bit but they get over it and learn it's not scary. Getting fish useto this will cause them less stress then moveing them every time you clean the tank. I have done a 80% water change and cleaned décor with my fish still in the tank not problem.

Ditto. I do a 100% water change everyday on my Discus tank and my fish are nice and healthy! :good:

:/

I am going to disregard that smiley face, as you obviously know nothing about keeping and growing out juvy Discus.

stats after 50%

gh- 180
kh - 180
ph- 6.5
no2- 0
no3- 40

how do i get the gh and kh lower, i posted my fish above


Gh/Kh are the hardness of your water. I don't know a whole lot about this part of fish keeping, but it's kind of odd that your hardness is high and pH is low, normally their either both high or both low. Don't really worry about messing around with pH or Gh/Kh though, your fish will be fine in the water you have.

ive been dealing with fungus recently.... my creamcicle molly... i have a thread in the emergency forum... well this morning i come out and my Emerald Cory Cat looks like it has Mouth Fungus! im so sad -_- ill start treating him for fungus as well... i dont understand tho, i treated my whole tank with the anti fungus medicine and yet he seems to have mouth fungus... gahhh!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top