Doggiebag's First Fishless Cycle - Juwel Rekord 600

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

But remember, that's a place where lots of others have been stuck too! And you are nowhere near the 60 to 70 day finish we see a lot, so yours may still come out faster!

as long as its okay then lol

any ideas how long it can go without change? I was hoping I would see a slight drop over the week or so at the 12 hour mark, just seemed odd that it has stuck at the same reading, though the other tank is doing the same so it is obviously 'normal' if 2 are doing it lol

no, knowing how long any particular phase of fishless cycling will take in any particular tank situation is just wishful thinking. There are just too many variables, including probably ones we don't know. You are definately having "watched kettle" syndrome. :lol:

Day 40: 18/09/09:
AM TEST: ph 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, added 4-5ppm ammonia
PM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, at last, 0's at 12 hours..........am I on to the qualifying week now? As long as the 0's stay of course.......

yes they did, oh no, your gonna tell me something wrong aren't you lol..........its too good to be true aint it.....

it is odd, the second tank was almost 2 weeks ahead of the first, then as soon as the nitrites went to 0 in 24 hours they have mirrored each other day to day.........

That sounds great Doggiebag. It sounds like the next thing for both tanks is some qualifying time to make sure you didn't just have a lucky test today and then start thinking of stock lists.

thanks, yeah Im thinking I may have just had a lucky test too lol, we'll see how it goes, no rush, Im happy waiting it out. Yeah I know, a woman who is happy waiting, shock, horror lol

WD, just to let you know, in case you think my test is off......when I tested before and the day it was at 1, I was also testing my cycled tanks, and they got 0's when these ones were getting 1's, so the test is working.......just in case you thought something was off with the kit. Though I agree its very strange how once the second one caught up, they have mirrored each other since then..........ah well, bet when I test later its all gone odd again lol

Should I test in the morning (24hours) if the PM (12hour) test showed 0's? Can I just add the ammonia in the mornings without testing? Seems a waste to test when I know they are both at 0's the night before........

I see no reason to waste a test, they do cost a few cents each. If you already have zeros, how much lower could it go?

No, I just though it was a happy coincidence.

Agree, no need to test at 24 hours if the 12 hour tests had zeros. Just dose the ammonia at 24 hours as usual.

~~waterdrop~~

great guys, thanks

haven't updated my threads yet, but this tank had 0.25 nitrite at 12 hours and the other one was at 0.50, so its not there just yet.......almost though.

will keep testing and dosing and wait it out.......

Day 41: 19/09/09:
AM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 0 added 4-5 ppm ammonia
PM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 0.25

Day 42: 20/09/09:
PM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 0.50

Day 43: 21/09/09:

Day 44: 22/09/09:
AM TEST: ph 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 added 4-5 ppm ammonia
PM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 1.0

Day 45: 23/09/09:
AM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, 90% waterchange, added 4-5 ppm ammonia

Day 46: 24/09/09:
AM TEST: ph 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 added 4-5 ppm ammonia

Day 47: 25/09/09:

Day 48: 26/09/09:
PM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 0

Day 49: 27/09/09:

Day 50: 28/09/09:
AM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 0 added 4 ppm ammonia
PM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 0.50-1.0 maybe 0.75

Day 51: 29/09/09:
AM TEST: ammonia 0, nitrite 0 added 4 ppm ammonia

Day 52: 30/09/09
AM TEST:ammonia 0, nitrite 0, added 4ppm ammonia
PM TEST:ammonia 0, nitrite 1.0, tested again at 14 hours nitrite <0.25 about 0.20 is this usual? to get 0's one day or two, then get 1.0!? driving me nuts now..............I can see no end to it lol

Most reactions

Back