Does this look like hydra to you?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They definitely are interesting to look at. My first post on this forum was about them as I had no idea if they posed a threat. Luckily I had no fish then. But I left them and still had them after I put in betta, 5x ember tetras, and amano shrimp.

I found a name of "Ciliate Zoothamnium arbuscula"

Attachments

• img (2).jpg
    img (2).jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 13
They definitely are interesting to look at. My first post on this forum was about them as I had no idea if they posed a threat. Luckily I had no fish then. But I left them and still had them after I put in betta, 5x ember tetras, and amano shrimp.

I found a name of "Ciliate Zoothamnium arbuscula"
Oh! Yes! I looked up some freshwater ciliates and that's totally what this organism is! The more magnified view helps to see the individual ciliates better. Is that your photo?? It's really impressive. You can very clearly see the lophophore (tentacle feeding structure) of a bryozoan in the bottom right corner as well 😃

Here are a couple more photos. The ciliate in rebe's tank could also potentially be Carchesium
1710376340086.png

1710376416637.png

Oh! Yes! I looked up some freshwater ciliates and that's totally what this organism is! The more magnified view helps to see the individual ciliates better. Is that your photo?? It's really impressive. You can very clearly see the lophophore (tentacle feeding structure) of a bryozoan in the bottom right corner as well 😃

Here are a couple more photos. The ciliate in rebe's tank could also potentially be Carchesium

Do you know much about these types of organisms? I'm mostly concerned about how and what they feed on. The images look really similar!

Do you know much about these types of organisms? I'm mostly concerned about how and what they feed on. The images look really similar!
Admittedly I don't know a ton about ciliates, but I do know that they won't be harmful to your fry. They don't have any stinging cells like cnidarians. They're filter feeders that eat tiny little microscopic things, so no need to worry!

Hi! Did you get the microscope camera? If so, do you recommend it? I have similar critters in my tank and would love to take better photos than what my phone can take.

Hi! Did you get the microscope camera? If so, do you recommend it? I have similar critters in my tank and would love to take better photos than what my phone can take.
Sorry for the long wait for a response, but yes I did get it! If your phone camera quality is quite good, then I'd recommend getting a clip-on lens. If your phone has a lower quality camera then I would recommend this kind of microscope camera. While the microscope is really interesting to use, there isn't a jaw dropping difference. I'll attach the pictures I have so you can decide for yourself. Although it might not be useful if you've already bought one in the time it's taken me to respond 😁

Clip-on Lens
1711250113511.png

Price: €20.31

My phone is the realme 6, with this camera:
1711250603509.png
Microscope Camera
1711250197507.png
https://amzn.eu/d/fPDRk0S

Price: €37.50

You can see that the microscope image is closer/zoomed-in more, but for almost double the price. Though if your phone camera isn't comparable to mine then I would recommend the microscope.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back