Does Size Really Matter?

the jealously is streaming off this thread! :P :P :P

and no, only took 5 mins of crunches to get that haha. :X
 
Orange shark is only 15?

Figured you for about 20!
 
oh my to the lot of you.... :lol: :lol:


anyways I think that the size of the tank itself is somewhat irelevent, but water quality and food source is paramount. for example bettas can be kept in very small containers....yes I hear you boo hiss....yea I know, but if that betta kept in a small growout and is very well fed and the water quality kept top notch then yes that betta will still grow to its full potentional.

perhaps the best thing that larger tanks do it make it eaisier to maintaine a perfect water quality with less difficulty.
 
oh my to the lot of you.... :lol: :lol:


anyways I think that the size of the tank itself is somewhat irelevent, but water quality and food source is paramount. for example bettas can be kept in very small containers....yes I hear you boo hiss....yea I know, but if that betta kept in a small growout and is very well fed and the water quality kept top notch then yes that betta will still grow to its full potentional.

perhaps the best thing that larger tanks do it make it eaisier to maintaine a perfect water quality with less difficulty.

Spoton!! newfish...spoton.
 
You guys are like way off topic, but whatever :lol:

I dont actually think its the size of the tank that makes the fish grow, its the amount of water. In my experience, fish tend to grow really really fast if you do water changes every day(maybe even twice a day) and feed them often. You can have an arowana in a 10 gallon tank with a 400 gallon sump, and it will grow faster than an arowana in a 30 gallon tank with no sump. The most important thing for making fish grow is water quality and good nutrition. A bigger tank just means the bad stuff in the water like nitrate and their hormones are just diffused more.

I remember hearing about somebody doing an experiement on this. A guy put 10 fry of discus into a 10 gallon tank, which he changed the water 9 times a day, and another 10 fry in a 100 gallon tank, and changed it once a week. The 10 fry in the 10 gallon tank ended up growing twice as fast as the 10 fry in the 100 gallon tank. I have also heard that if you have a big discus in a 30 gallon tank with a smaller discus, the smaller discus will never become bigger because of the hormones in the water. Not sure how true this is, but it kinda makes sense.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top