Does Size Really Matter?

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
I did a mass spawning of Zebra Danio (7 males to 4 females) some time back in a 2ft tank. As soon as the fry became free swimming, I moved about 2 thirds of them to a 5ft tank. All those remaining in the 2 ft tank are now double the size of any of those in the 5ft tank and also fewer survived in the 5ft than in the 2 ft....

So, if I had do draw a conclussion here, I'd say fish do not necessarily grow better in a bigger aquarium, which is quite the opposite to what everyone else says. Is this true, or what explains.??
 
I did a mass spawning of Zebra Danio (7 males to 4 females) some time back in a 2ft tank. As soon as the fry became free swimming, I moved about 2 thirds of them to a 5ft tank. All those remaining in the 2 ft tank are now double the size of any of those in the 5ft tank and also fewer survived in the 5ft than in the 2 ft....

So, if I had do draw a conclussion here, I'd say fish do not necessarily grow better in a bigger aquarium, which is quite the opposite to what everyone else says. Is this true, or what explains.??


it depends what u had in the 5foot aquarium fish wise i mean.

as they could of been competing for food or because it is a bigger aquarium and the food is over a much bigger surface then they may not be getting as much as they would ina 2 foot, as it is a biot harder for them.
 
You're taking a basic rule to the umpteenth degree Ludwig, and blowing it slightly out of proportion.

The rule about fish growing to the size of the tank they're in really applies to situations where the tank they're in is too small for their natural full size. I've yet to hear of Zebra Danio's reaching 3 feet.

As for why one batch grew bigger than the other, theres any number of reasons that I'll leave others to speculate on.
 
you can't just judge it on size. there are other factors that come into play like water stats, temperature and company
 
You're taking a basic rule to the umpteenth degree Ludwig, and blowing it slightly out of proportion.

The rule about fish growing to the size of the tank they're in really applies to situations where the tank they're in is too small for their natural full size. I've yet to hear of Zebra Danio's reaching 3 feet.

As for why one batch grew bigger than the other, theres any number of reasons that I'll leave others to speculate on.

Wow!! There ye go.... In my wildest dreams I'd never, never have expected them to grow "out of proportion" to (quote) 3 feet!!.... No, No, No,.... I'm not that naiive/synical......not Zebra danios, I just expected them to grow faster than their counterparts cause of the bigger space, (same temp/ same water from same tap) also no other fish sharing with them.

What Rocknurworld says about the spread of food over a wider area & they not getting as much as the bunch in the 2ft makes sense,.... but 3 feet??
 
Yes, size really does matter!

...oh wait... tanks? :shifty:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top