Does my betta need entertaining? How do you entertain yours?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mine loves it when I move stuff around, because the flow is low even the floating plants and Betta log stay in one place, so once a week I move the surface bits around, when I do he goes into patrolling and building another bubble nest, it gets mixed up again for water change at the end of the week. Now he builds the most incredible bubble nest overnight in the fear it might not be there long.... sometimes I feel mean but it really keeps him busy and happy.

when I’ve changed decor around or swapped something I always thought it would stress him out but if anything he gets very curious and has a nosy about when I’m done, I can tell it excites him.

maybe have a few decorations so you could swap one over once a month or something.
I do add and switch different plants in tanks.

OK, seriously, I think the best thing would be to give them live food several times a week and make them hunt for it. It's what they do in nature, and there's no better mental or physical exercise than rustling one's own grub.
I do agree here. When I have fry I always hatch extra live baby brine shrimp to feed everyone. Even the goldfish go into hunting mode. They just swim through the tank with their mouths open, sucking the shrimp in. It is so funny to watch!

OK, seriously, I think the best thing would be to give them live food several times a week and make them hunt for it. It's what they do in nature, and there's no better mental or physical exercise than rustling one's own grub.
I agree, mine gets live food everyday.

I think I’ll try rearranging my betta’s plants, wine glass, and tiki head. He sleeps in the tiki head. I’ll move it and see if he can find his “bedroom!”
7906E056-9605-428C-86CC-941811874BBB.jpeg

Well enjoy because i have hubby who seems to like looking over my shoulder :-( and his favourite words are (You don't need to buy nothing else) :rolleyes:
Well my side filter for pressure in my large tank the suckers keep coming lose and i'm thinking of buying a Fluval U2 to go with my U4.

Rhianne did you buy an API test kit while on sale as i did, that's 4 i've got now :lol:
Got it for £15 on amazon as I added it as a subscribe and save. Bargain!

I have an amazon problem, I can’t stop :p

I entertain mine by feeding him and letting him chase my finger along the side of the tank.

I also play with him with a laser pointer. Sounds impossible, but it actually works. They see the little red beam going through the tank and they chase it, it’s hilarious.

Warning: Please do not shine the laser pointer in the fishes eyes. Be very careful, as they may permanently blind him/her...

Have a look at my thread " Oscars make great pets " . This is the action you get feeding blood worm off your finger. It is really cool. I had a friend he had his Oscar tank next to the diner table and used to throw them bits of meat off his plate.

Warning: Please do not shine the laser pointer in the fishes eyes. Be very careful, as they may permanently blind him/her...
Just a reminder that laser pointers are dangerous if shone into any eyes, not just fish's eyes. These are not toys and should not be used as such. I know none of the members on here would be careless with a laser pointer but if you have one, keep it away from those who would be stupid with them.

Just a reminder that laser pointers are dangerous if shone into any eyes, not just fish's eyes. These are not toys and should not be used as such. I know none of the members on here would be careless with a laser pointer but if you have one, keep it away from those who would be stupid with them.

Totally agree but a laser pen could get into the wrong hands. Moreover, even if one is careful, it could accidentally slip and the beam could hit the eye. Surely there are other colourful lights that exist to entertain a pet?

The risk is not worth it as eyes are so precious. :)

Oh yes, I definitely agree with both you guys. I typically don’t let anyone near my fish tanks - a lot of people are stupid. :blink:

Most reactions

Back