The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

JackieP

Reaction score
So Iā€™ve posted a thread about this a week ago. I thought it was bloating or constipation and I fasted her for three days and started feeding her less and it just seems like itā€™s gotten worse. She used to swim around so much and now she just kinda floats near the top. Iā€™m scared itā€™s dropsy but she doesnā€™t look like she has pinecone scales. Please help.

Attachments

• A9C0EB9C-7FA3-4BF1-A37B-1930C08226C5.jpeg
    A9C0EB9C-7FA3-4BF1-A37B-1930C08226C5.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 97
  • A20E8B14-1768-4BA0-BD03-CCBC59BB45BD.jpeg
    A20E8B14-1768-4BA0-BD03-CCBC59BB45BD.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 67FBF77A-196B-40D0-A674-89319C0EC187.jpeg
    67FBF77A-196B-40D0-A674-89319C0EC187.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 6E64CBFD-8D6A-4946-B95C-38FE3429EC7B.jpeg
    6E64CBFD-8D6A-4946-B95C-38FE3429EC7B.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 61983617-0E50-414D-A232-8105BCD27BF8.jpeg
    61983617-0E50-414D-A232-8105BCD27BF8.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 88
Unfortunately does look like dropsy.

You could go to the next step of epsom salt. Its helpful to reduce swelling--which is what dropsy is, in a way.

Id do daily 2x day epsom salt baths for 15-20 min at a time in a 1-2 tablespoon epsom salt per 1 gallon.
Use unscented and under, you dont want bad chemicals in the epsom.

Also with same treatment, soak her food in epsom salt water before feeding her. This will also help internally.

Dropsy is usually hard to cure and usually fatal once it shows, but you can at least be given the options to try.

You could go to the next step of epsom salt. Its helpful to reduce swelling--which is what dropsy is, in a way.

Id do daily 2x day epsom salt baths for 15-20 min at a time in a 1-2 tablespoon epsom salt per 1 gallon.

Also with same treatment, soak her food in epsom salt water before feeding her. This will also help internally.

Dropsy is usually hard to cure and usually fatal once it shows, but you can at least be given the options to try.
Thank you for replying. Itā€™s so sad I really loved her and Iā€™ve only had her for 6 months. I just feel like itā€™s my fault but I know the causes are mostly unknown.

Agree with @CassCats usually by the time symptoms of dropsy are spotted, its too late

I've seen so many times that dropsy is caused by poor water quality, although I've lost bettas to dropsy in established tanks which received 50% waterchanges twice a week. I'd argue that bettas are now just genetically weak due to mass inbreeding and what not. It isn't always the keepers fault so don't beat yourself up if you've done everything by the book

Agree with @CassCats usually by the time symptoms of dropsy are spotted, its too late

I've seen so many times that dropsy is caused by poor water quality, although I've lost bettas to dropsy in established tanks which received 50% waterchanges twice a week. I'd argue that bettas are now just genetically weak due to mass inbreeding and what not. It isn't always the keepers fault so don't beat yourself up if you've done everything by the book
Thatā€™s exactly what I was thinking. I got her at petco and they put them in those cups and I know they donā€™t take good care of them. Iā€™ve always done water changes every week and checked the water for ammonia and all that. Itā€™s so common so I definitely agree I feel like theyā€™re genetically weak. Also with the epsom salt do I just put her in a separate container like a bucket or something with the salt in it? And then put her back in the tank? Or put it in the tank and do a water change?

with the epsom salt do I just put her in a separate container like a bucket or something with the salt in it? And then put her back in the tank? Or put it in the tank and do a water change?

with the epsom salt do I just put her in a separate container like a bucket or something with the salt in it? And then put her back in the tank? Or put it in the tank and do a water change?
Do it in a container and then return her to the tank. Frequent water changes are good in a effort for recovery. Make sure that the temp of the water matches

I concur, it looks like dropsy to me to. :(

Genetics is usually at play here, especially if you got her from PetCo. @CassCats gave some solid advice.

Most reactions

trending

Back