Does Anyone Overstock Thier Tanks?

Tolak seems to e much quoted today.

I do agree with what BTT said about the filter issue. That is one reason I feel it is best to run dual filters (and heaters) where possible, especially on larger tanks. That way if one does happen to fail for what ever reason, there is still another filter running that can keep any potential ammonia buildup to a minimum. Of course, in the case of a power failure, that doesn't help but mainly speaking of normal circumstances.
 
i would say my tank is more than overstocked, as you can see in my sig. although the tinfoil barbs and the silver sharks are going. possibly all three geophagus and the nuisance discus. all depends what comes first, my patience with 3 water changes a week or my fish house!!
 
as i have been told i have overstocked
quite a lot actually lol
im getting a 3ft tank in thursday so things should even out
but ive had no fish die or look unwell, i wont add more, but i think its just right, right now =]
 
wow thats amazing ! they realy friendly then

they are indeed! really great personalities! infact, when i wake up in the morning and switch the light on, i make a little tapping beat, its 3 little taps on the plastic, and nobby just swims out full pelt haha XD

DAMN! such a wicked fish ;) (L)
 
My first goldfish tank was severely overstocked (surprise surprise - went on pet shop advice :rolleyes: ), and I probably am a little bit over stocked now in the bigger tank, but I have 2 filters running, gravel-vac to the extreme and my fish seem happy :)
I know it isn't "advised" to overstock, but I seem to be doing ok (hope I haven't jinxed myself now, haha!)
 
mine may also be a little over stocked but i look at it all my water prams are fine all my fish get on. none of them get picked on and my mollies are breeding and the fry are surving in the main tank with no trouble so i dont have any problems. i think alot is personal choice
 
i love bp tetras nice i got 7 for the price of six yaya woman didnt want to take any out of bag when i bought em lol caught five then another 2 in same net yaya
 
From a relative Newbie, I think the 1" per Gallon rule is fine as a guideline, but it depends on the fish that are sharing the space. Also on whether they are bottom middle or top dwellers. Fish from different parts of the planet don't necessarily communicate well, and would probably cause more of an over stocking issue then, perhaps if you have fish that all originate from the Amazon for example.

Its fascinating and we all have much to learn. bottom line, we all love fish :)
 
this is why people have things like amazon biotypes it mirrors natural habitat
alot are from the amazon so there is so much choice
 
Yep, I'm guilty of overstocking. Although, I try to stack them... some bottom dwellers, some mid-range swimmers, and some upper level. However, the loaches do occassionally go everywhere and not just stay at the bottom; and the gouramis don't just stay at the top of the tank but will venture into the cave from time to time.

Also, I added a UV sterilizer that runs off of a second water pump/filter. So I'm overfiltering like crazy now too.
 
I have been guilty of overstocking, not always through choice though.

I would prefer to be understocked, however with good filtration etc i dont stick religiously to the 1" per gallon rule.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top