Does Anyone Overstock Thier Tanks?

It shouldn't have to turn into an argument.
Most people learn by there mistakes. I like to think I have.
 
please dont turn it into one
i thought i would be an interesting topic but obv just another opertunity for a dig
 
I think there might be confusion in some of the members' minds about a definition of the word "overstock." If you go by the "inch per gallon" guideline, many fishkeepers exceed that limit successfully. I don't think the OP meant overstocked to mean horribly crowded in with polluted water.
 
This is quite funny...
Because if this topic is closed, it's not because there' s an argument, but because everyone is just chatting.
 
IMO stocking depends a lot on personal opinion. What one person considers overstocked another may consider understocked.


I have about 50 endlers in a 15gal, they range from adults to 2 week old fry. Do to the nature of these fish, I would not say that this tank is overstocked yet. Fish stay healthy and water quality is good as well.
 
Depends what you mean by "over stocked".
There in lies the key. There are a lot of factors that come into play. Size/type fish, size/type filtration, plants, etc. all are factors. Take a 29 gallon tank with a 150gph filter (basically considered minimum 5x tank size)and no live plants versus the same 29 gallon tank with 300 gph and fully planted. Obviously, the number of fish that "overstocks" those 2 tanks is different. I will quote Tolak from another thread yesterday:

One thing you learn if you have been at this long enough is that there are no cut & dried rules to many aspects, just a series of often wide ranging guidelines

Most will recognize that from the "Water Change Frequency" thread but it's just as true here or anywhere else in the hobby. We all quote the 1" per gallon guide to newbies but that's really just to help them through the beginning stages until they understand how to read their fish and tell with their eyes what is going on in the tank. I'm sure most members here that have had tanks for several years are well over 1" per gallon. And of course that is only speaking of community fish. When you get into larger fish, there is no such thing as inches per gallon.

In answer to the original question, my tanks are all currently understocked. I've lost some fish to age (both tanks are almost 4 years old and stock is still mostly original) and simply haven't replaced them yet. But with the filtration I have and normal maintenance, I would have no problem taking either of my tanks to 2" per gallon or more and have no concerns about any issues related to overstocking.
 
In answer to the original question, my tanks are all currently understocked. I've lost some fish to age (both tanks are almost 4 years old and stock is still mostly original) and simply haven't replaced them yet. But with the filtration I have and normal maintenance, I would have no problem taking either of my tanks to 2" per gallon or more and have no concerns about any issues related to overstocking.
[/quote]


thanks for answering lol most just leave there own opinion on the thread and leave

i agree withe he whole understocking thing and will resist buying anymore fish other than two angels when i set up my new tank
 
you can see in my sig that i'm overstocked. Fish all get along and i have enough territories for the gouramies and kribs. I'm running a total of 450gph on a 30 gallon and keep up with my waterchanges weekly. I dont go by the inch per gallon rule at all, i'm a firm believer in sufficient swimming space, compatibility, and maintenance. If it looks overstocked than it probably is.
 
I run my main tank at 1.5" per US Gal with no issues, and have done so in the past with levels of up to 3" per US Gal. So long as there is sufficient filtration and water changes, it causes no issues.

The problem with overstocking starts when your equipment fails or there is a power cut. An overstocked tank will go bad much more quickly than an understocked tank.

I agree with the others that the inch per gallon rule is a guide rather than a hard and fast rule. I always remember what Tolak once said on the subject which I think sums it up very nicely.

"Stocking is more of an art than a science."

It couldn't be more true!

BTT :good:
 
im not overstock ;)

i have a 84L tank

and 2 dwarf puffers, wally and nobby!

nobby is godly! i put my hand in, and he chases it ;)! i play with him, such a lovely fish! i even hand feed them ;)

oooo i love them!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top