Dobbies Garden Centres

backtotropical

Retired Mod
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
4,481
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Just read in the newspaper today that Dobbies is now owned by Tesco.

I assume we'll be getting a 'Tesco Value' aquatics section then?

I wonder if changes are afoot?
 
i have a dobbies near me and its the worst place ive been for fish as a bot of evrything is thrown in a tank which shouldnt be and a list of things beside it and no one can tell you whats what!!!
horrible state :crazy:
 
I used to Work for dobbies in Mancetter for a while, but left as i did not agree with there policies on maximising sales of fish. over the fishes welfare.
IF tesco have bought them, then it may be for the better, as Tesco have more buying power and can open more branches.
 
I've noticed a few telly ads for Dobbies recently; If Tesco owns them, we'll be seeing a lot more.
 
Interesting - I wonder if this is following on the back of Sainsbury's, some of which have aquatics shops inside...

A supermarkets 'step further' I suppose? I wonder where the competition will finally end up?
 
Interesting - I wonder if this is following on the back of Sainsbury's, some of which have aquatics shops inside...

I noticed a few months back that my local Tesco Extra had a few fishkeeping items for sale in the home section - some godawful little hex tank pictured as containing numerous goldfish, some pretty big glass bowls and sets of plastic plants and nets and such. Must be the start of a new trend, sadly it'll end up like Walmart in the U.S I fear :(

ETS: Tesco Fish Tanks - Seem a tad overpriced for what they are!
 
Most of these are found in the Tesco Direct book, they introduce bits into store as a trial to see what sells and then expand the range through the non-food network.

However there are no plans to introduce live fish into stores, unless its lobster for the fishmonger lol haha
 
Tesco don't own Dobbies, they have simply brought shares into the company,
Dobbies and Tesco are remaining two separate identities,
The only thing Tesco are contributing to Dobbies is money to open more branches down south and to refurbish current stores.
 
Interesting - I wonder if this is following on the back of Sainsbury's, some of which have aquatics shops inside...

That's Aqualife, AFAIK they've got nothing to do with Sainsburys. Just taking quite a good approach to location (customers, and use of the carpark).
 
Tesco don't own Dobbies, they have simply brought shares into the company,
Dobbies and Tesco are remaining two separate identities,
The only thing Tesco are contributing to Dobbies is money to open more branches down south and to refurbish current stores.

Tesco now own 53% of the issued share capital in Dobbies, and therefore 'control' the company. You are correct that they do not 'own' it outright. Sir Tom Hunter has a 28% stake in the shares and has refused to sell to Tesco.

Dobbies will remain a seperate entity but is a subsidiary of Tesco who are now the majority shareholder and therefore control the company. They are doing a bit more than giving Dobbies money to refurbish their stores.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top