Do We Have Any Pc Experts Amongst Us?

This may or may not work depending on the type of partition that was used when the drive was created but try it anyhow.

You need to go
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management

Select Disk management option on the left under storage.
This Should now show the physical disk, split into the 2 partitions C: and L:

Right Click L: and select Shrink Volumn and choose how much you want to reduce the size of L: by.

Once this has completed.

Right Click C: and select Extend Volumn and extend it into the space you have created by shrinking L:.

Be warned that any sort of operaton like this can lead to Data Loss. It is unlikely but make sure to backup all your data before attempting this or anything similar.

Make sure you are not deleting/ extending the recovery partition if installed!!

It sounds like the OS has been installed in the space reserved for the recovery partition.

I love OEM installs.

40gb is plenty of space for the os and "normal" programs

Just use your L drive for your photos docs vids and anything important

Then when it comes to fixing windows you've only got a small partition to do it with ie clean install

Leaving all your important data on L drive

thats what i would have thought but after cleaning the drive i still only have 1.21 of 40GB free and to be honest i've been struggling with this since the pc was new, (less than a year) the C drive was full in a week which was what led me to question the suppliers as its listed as having 1TB we then discovered part of the drive hadn't been enabled, even so the C drive is still too full in my opinion even after moving various programs over to the L drive

This may or may not work depending on the type of partition that was used when the drive was created but try it anyhow.

You need to go
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management

Select Disk management option on the left under storage.
This Should now show the physical disk, split into the 2 partitions C: and L:

Right Click L: and select Shrink Volumn and choose how much you want to reduce the size of L: by.

Once this has completed.

Right Click C: and select Extend Volumn and extend it into the space you have created by shrinking L:.

Be warned that any sort of operaton like this can lead to Data Loss. It is unlikely but make sure to backup all your data before attempting this or anything similar.
i tried doing this and was able to shrink the L drive but when i tried extending the C drive that option was "greyed" out so i re extended the L drive

You probably need to make the C: drive a dynamic drive (if that's possible - it's in the list of options but my C: is the full drive size). Again, I will re-iterate that messing with drive partitions can lead to data loss/system failure.

You can install the OS more than once and you'll get a choice of where to boot from. Could make things confusing though if you do.

£40 will get you a new drive to install....that may be your safest option. Buy a second drive and disconnect the first. Reinstall OS to the new drive and then reconnect the second drive. Ensure the new drive is set to be the one to boot from in the BIOS and then delete the C: partition on your old drive. Keeps your data and OS separate then as well, so in the event of drive failure on the more heavily used C: drive...your data would be safe.

You probably need to make the C: drive a dynamic drive (if that's possible - it's in the list of options but my C: is the full drive size). Again, I will re-iterate that messing with drive partitions can lead to data loss/system failure.

You can install the OS more than once and you'll get a choice of where to boot from. Could make things confusing though if you do.

£40 will get you a new drive to install....that may be your safest option. Buy a second drive and disconnect the first. Reinstall OS to the new drive and then reconnect the second drive. Ensure the new drive is set to be the one to boot from in the BIOS and then delete the C: partition on your old drive. Keeps your data and OS separate then as well, so in the event of drive failure on the more heavily used C: drive...your data would be safe.

might as well flatten his current OS partition and do fresh install

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back