Do Planariidae or ramshorn snails eat fish eggs?

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

brendonjw

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
As per title, i have some cory eggs I moved to a tank that has some of these in them. I'd like to turn it into a grow out tank for the eggs if possible.

Family Planariidae
Danger: Harmless.
How it gets into your tank: Plants, Water, Live food.
Size: Generally ≤ 4mm
Planaria are non-parasitic [acronym="The flatworms, known in scientific literature as Platyhelminthes are a phylum of relatively simple bilaterian, unsegmented, soft-bodied invertebrate animals."]flatworms[/acronym] often seen in new tanks. Large numbers of them are indicative of overfeeding or decaying animal matter being in the tank. Often seen crawling on glass.

Hobby lore says planaria are egg predators. I have had low yields from killie spawnings when they were present.

Ramshorns with killie eggs in petrie dishes (mostly) didn't eat good eggs. The few they did eat (10% or so) may have been fungusing. I actually experimented with that. Pond snails were cold blooded killers.

I have an acquaintance who breeds a lot of Corys, and he puts ramshorns in his rearing and hatch tanks. I wouldn't go that far, but he talked me into doing an experiment, and RAMSHORNs were fine. Others, like Malaysian - I don't know.

Many types of shrimp will clean eggs. You can't over generalize, as different shrimp do different things,much like snails.

Thanks for the info.

I've been looking up info on how to get rid of them, i've never used medicine in my tanks before but would something like this work.

Or what other ways have people used before? I see there are traps available but people say they don't normally get them all. Any fish that a good at eating them?

Thanks all.

Most reactions

Back