Do pet stores carry such bad stock that you should quarantine?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've heard that you should quarantine new plants and fish. Is this accepted practice in the community? If so, pet stores are in the wrong for selling such dangerous stock enough to kill fish. If there's instances where they sell sick fish or harmful plants isn't that animal abuse and shouldn't that be reported? Imagine taking home a dog from the shelter and putting them in a cage for a few weeks because they might have a disease that the adoption agency was too negligent to check for.

Yes this is the case. But it's not always the pet store's fault. Fish naturally get diseases and they are getting shipped over states and seas and countries... Through all that some get sick and some may get into your aquarium. If you set up a nice enough qt tank it's not cruel and very humane when done properly

Yes, this is the case. But it's not always the pet store's fault. Fish naturally get diseases, and they are getting shipped over states and seas and countries... Through all that some get sick, and some may get into your aquarium. If you set up a nice enough qt tank it's not cruel and very humane when done properly
Everything can naturally get diseases, but it shouldn't be to the point where quarantining is common practice and new fish are expected to have disease. I would think that means something is terribly wrong somewhere along the line. Also, there's stress coat for shipping and it is partially the pet store's fault because unlike them, a rescue would never give someone a sick dog without checking.

I personally do not quarantine but fish can carry diseases that might not show immediately and the way they are raised is pretty bad sometimes. Much worse than the way that dogs are raised. Also, shelter dogs are vaccinated against the more common diseases.
Then they need to stop supporting bad breeding practices.

This isn't a moral economic system. Raising fish poorly is very profitable, and the problems happen at the supplier end, usually in Asia. The stores have no say. Consumers want cheap fish, and the mega-chains provide them. We could have better fish, but such a consumer movement isn't going to happen. The trend is the other way as the chains become more and more monopolies.

Plus fish have always been a bit fragile. You can't vaccinate them, and shipping is stressful. QT is what were supposed to do, though it's mostly talk. Few people actually do it.

This isn't a moral economic system. Raising fish poorly is very profitable, and the problems happen at the supplier end, usually in Asia. The stores have no say. Consumers want cheap fish, and the mega-chains provide them. We could have better fish, but such a consumer movement isn't going to happen. The trend is the other way as the chains become more and more monopolies.

Plus fish have always been a bit fragile. You can't vaccinate them, and shipping is stressful. QT is what were supposed to do, though it's mostly talk. Few people actually do it.
Exactly

I do agree with this, but it would take a huge blow to the Aquatics business and lots of local shops would be shut down and possibly big chains would not sell fish anymore
But shelters don't need to mass breed and they're full of pets 24/7. Fish are one of the most popular pets, surely it could be the same with them.

But shelters don't need to mass breed and they're full of pets 24/7. Fish are one of the most popular pets, surely it could be the same with them.
Yes because people are leaving their dogs in the streets or turning in their Christmas gifts.
Fish arent found in drainage systems

The aloe vera can clog the gills and actually it irritates the fish's skin forcing it to make its slime coat...
Aloe vera is bad for fish? Guess I need to throw away my water conditioner then, it has that as an ingredient.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back