Do My Plants Want Co2?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
I'm watching my plants pearl and produceĀ bubbles after a 50% water change.Ā  Does this mean they could use more carbon dioxide?
Ā 
Currently only giving them Flourish once or twice a week
Ā 
I've noticed some plants have been going transparent and melting (even the new growth after the initial melt) so I wondered if this was another sign they need more CO2.

All plants want Co2 just some require a little more than others for you to see prolific strong growth. NoĀ reasonĀ not to try a home made reactor, it will cost less than a tenner inc. ingredients, & using Co2 will not always prevent plants from melting either
and you will notice a change in plant health within a week! + weekly dosage of liquid carbon is N/G and really you'd better off giving your plants some nourishment in the form of plant tabs from either Tetra or JBLĀ 
Bubbles on plants after a water change aren't really an indication of anything as you all to often get bubbles forming on glass surfaces andĀ ornamentsĀ too after a large water change.

I don't use Co2 and my plants do great. Plants will lose leaves that they don't want to care for anymore and its normal. As long as the new growth looks healthy then they should be fine.

It really depends on your lighting as if you only have low level lighting it will be a bit of a waste of time to add CO2. What lights have you got?

Tank lights are rubbish, 15W CFL fluorescent for a 64L/17G tank.Ā  BUT the tank does get a lot of natural light as well.Ā  I know because the plants are all leaning towards the front of the tank and not upwards
confused.gif

Ā 
New plant growth is not looking healthy.Ā  I've had some vallis for about 6 weeks, it all melted which I expected and the new growth did okay for a while but now it is looking patchy and brown and melting to death.Ā  Same with elodea.

Try replacing your T5's, your plants will like that mine did. I dont use CO2 and my plant growth is strong but slow, I often find that algae eating fish like otto's and plec's can be responsible for plants going transparent. (I just discovered the ' key on my computer and now I am going to use it).

I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my lighting, the lights don't need replacing they are pretty new but just weak for the size tank.Ā  They're 14W not 15W sorry.
Ā 
Only platys in my tank, they only seem to attack the plants after they have started to melt but not healthy plants.
Ā 
So I guess I don't need CO2, then I wonder why my vallis is doing so badly!

Vallis doesn't like anything with carbon in so if you're dosing with Flourish its likely this is killing it off.

co2 grows plants. Light merely accelerates the growth, its a myth to suggest co2 would be wasted in a low light tank

Flourish doesn't have carbon, that's Excel you're thinking of. I'm not dosing any carbon yet, I never expected to need it with my low lighting!

But I'm wondering if the additional natural light is causing a co2 shortage.

I'm tempted to try a bit of excel and see what happens; if the vallis is dying anyway could it hurt?

daizeUK said:
But I'm wondering if the additional natural light is causing a co2 shortage.
Sounds right to me. There's always the possibility of a flow issue for the given CO2, but you're better worrying about that when you know you're in better shape.

If you sort out the sunlight and keep the lighting the same I'd try to stay as you are to begin with - Maybe increase your dosing to daily rather than weekly.

If you sort the sun and upgrade your lighting consider a nutrient with Nitrate and Phosphate too.

Will carbon fix your problem as is - maybe, give it a try, but again you'll want a Complete fert to support growth too.

IMO

daizeUK said:
Flourish doesn't have carbon, that's Excel you're thinking of.
Whoops, my mistake. I think SO19 is closer to the mark on this one anyway so have a think about his advice.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it
Ā 
Sorry to be thick but can you explain what you mean by a Complete fert?Ā  Does that mean including NPK as well as trace?
Flourish contains a bit of potassium I think but no phosphorus
Ā 
I definitely don't need nitrogen as my tap water is FULL of nitrates!
Ā 
So would I be alright to try a bit of daily Excel in addition to my Flourish and see how it goes, possibly add a bit of phosphorus if needed?Ā 

Another question, why don't I have BBA (which I think is a sign of low CO2)?
Ā 
I've had a little green water and some brown diatoms in my tank, but honestly not much algae at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back