Do I need to keep the bubbler?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Strmwrng

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good Morning all from SE Illinois,
I have a 5 gal tank that houses 3 Endlers. Iā€™m trying to go from plastic to live plants and I ran out of patience :nod: I have Guppy grass thatā€™s doing very well and a couple of plants that are on their way. Was trying to s-l-o-w-l-y remove the plastic plants as the live ones arrive but this morning just took them all out. Iā€™ll fill it in over time.
My question; do I need to keep the bubbler in the tank? Between it and my hob filter, the guppy grass balls up in one place. But if itā€™s more of a benefit, then of course Iā€™ll keep it. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 75094094-AC4D-4197-9495-56127F821EFE.jpeg
    75094094-AC4D-4197-9495-56127F821EFE.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 60
Good Morning all from SE Illinois,
I have a 5 gal tank that houses 3 Endlers. Iā€™m trying to go from plastic to live plants and I ran out of patience :nod: I have Guppy grass thatā€™s doing very well and a couple of plants that are on their way. Was trying to s-l-o-w-l-y remove the plastic plants as the live ones arrive but this morning just took them all out. Iā€™ll fill it in over time.
My question; do I need to keep the bubbler in the tank? Between it and my hob filter, the guppy grass balls up in one place. But if itā€™s more of a benefit, then of course Iā€™ll keep it. Thanks!!
As long as the HOB filter disturbs the surface enough to create enough gas exchange to keep the water oxygenated, then you don't need an airstone, nope :) Try taking it on a day when you're home and can keep an eye on the tank, if the fish start staying near the surface and gasping, it can mean there isn't enough oxygen in the water, so put the bubbler back in if that happens.

You could swap it out for a smaller airstone if you find you still need one, but this one is too much.

ETA: I'm really liking the natural look you're going with! Happy you persisted with live plants despite your initial difficulties! Worth it, aren't they? :) Do the fish seem to be enjoying the guppy grass?

If the HOB is agitating the surface probably not, keep an eye on the fish after removing the airstone and if they start coming to the surface gasping put it back in.

Edit: Ninja'd by the lovely @AdoraBelle Dearheart.......
Ahh, just proves that great minds think alike!

Reactions: kwi
As long as the HOB filter disturbs the surface enough to create enough gas exchange to keep the water oxygenated, then you don't need an airstone, nope :) Try taking it on a day when you're home and can keep an eye on the tank, if the fish start staying near the surface and gasping, it can mean there isn't enough oxygen in the water, so put the bubbler back in if that happens.

You could swap it out for a smaller airstone if you find you still need one, but this one is too much.

ETA: I'm really liking the natural look you're going with! Happy you persisted with live plants despite your initial difficulties! Worth it, aren't they? :) Do the fish seem to be enjoying the guppy grass?
Thanks! I like the guppy grass more than the fish seem to, lol! Yep, so glad to get rid of the plastic! So Iā€™ll try your removal idea and keep an eye on it. Thanks so much for your help and cheerleading!:fish:

If the air stone is at the bottom of the tank it is the best way to pull water from that region of the tank to the top. So I would say leave it in. But turn it down a little, they don't have to run fast to be effective.

Can't.you anchor the grass in the substrate? Or is it sposed to drift around the tank?

Bubbles, like mentioned, are the best way to actually circulate the water in the tank,.so I wouldn't.remove it. Go to the store and.get a $2 valve and put it inline and change the rate at which it bubbles...(I know...redundant post....but....to give idea as to how to change the rate....haha....)

If the air stone is at the bottom of the tank it is the best way to pull water from that region of the tank to the top. So I would say leave it in. But turn it down a little, they don't have to run fast to be effective.
Iā€™m just now able to get back to my thread...I already stopped after work and purchased a smaller air stone because Iā€™m not able to regulate the little pump itā€™s connected to. I havenā€™t put it in yet tho, thanks for the info. Good to know that slower can be as effective :)

Iā€™m just now able to get back to my thread...I already stopped after work and purchased a smaller air stone because Iā€™m not able to regulate the little pump itā€™s connected to. I havenā€™t put it in yet tho, thanks for the info. Good to know that slower can be as effective :)
You can buy a valve that goes in the line to regulate air flow, they're cheap.

Can't.you anchor the grass in the substrate? Or is it sposed to drift around the tank?

Bubbles, like mentioned, are the best way to actually circulate the water in the tank,.so I wouldn't.remove it. Go to the store and.get a $2 valve and put it inline and change the rate at which it bubbles...(I know...redundant post....but....to give idea as to how to change the rate....haha....)
Thanks for your info, I didnā€™t know about the valve. I already got a smaller stone, but itā€™ll bubble just as fast as the one I had only in a smaller area. If itā€™s still too much for the guppy grass Iā€™ll pick a valve up.
As for the grass ā€˜drifting aroundā€™, I bought it hoping it would float on top. Even with the bubbler removed itā€™s still filling one side of the tank from top to bottom. Not quite sure what to do with it? Iā€™m open to ideas...

Attachments

• DF3516B9-4E3B-40E6-8C15-72E7C7CBB6FA.jpeg
    DF3516B9-4E3B-40E6-8C15-72E7C7CBB6FA.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 65
So Iā€™m not sure how I messed up my replies in this thread, sorry that I made it so confusing!! New to forums as well as fish keeping!:oops:

I used a splitter (manifold) to reduce the air flow from an air pump.

Splitter.JPG

Opening the unused tap bleeds air into the room and reduces the amount of air going to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back