Do I Need A Nutrient Substrate / Ferts?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So I have to leave my External filter in water o.0?
LOL, NOT THE WHOLE THING. Just the filter MEDIA. Crikey this thread is spiralling.

Dunno, not had hands-on experience with like (like nry with the other stuff). 5mm would be maybe too big ...

Why can't things be simple aye? You'd THINK all this stuff would be in the LFS's, but it just ain't (well, it may well be, ask). You have to search it out and this makes plant keeping so much more painful, esp on an international forum. Most stuff you need can be found in garden centres actually....

Andy

So I have to leave my External filter in water o.0?
LOL, NOT THE WHOLE THING. Just the filter MEDIA. Crikey this thread is spiralling.

Dunno, not had hands-on experience with like (like nry with the other stuff). 5mm would be maybe too big ...

Why can't things be simple aye? You'd THINK all this stuff would be in the LFS's, but it just ain't (well, it may well be, ask). You have to search it out and this makes plant keeping so much more painful, esp on an international forum. Most stuff you need can be found in garden centres actually....

Andy

Yes but seeing as the Sand is waaaaaaaaay over sized maybe the gravel is too? :blush:

The black river SAND is perfect for plants, the gravel will be way too big in my opinion. I have pea gravel in my 15-gallon at present - anything small really struggles to root and hold which is partly why I am rescaping shortly, I will never use gravel again - it might be OK initialy but if you do ever decide to try some smaller plants they'll not do well however much light and fertiliser you give them, they just can't root well. The black river sand is not oversized, the description of 2-3mm is not (if I recall) listed on the packaging, only on the AE website.

When I said it is no longer only in my tank I meant that I think I was one of the first on here to try it and now everyone seems to be considering it :)

Only worries I have are those gas build up pockets, cleaning it, my water going cloudy and it being sucked up by my external. It'll get dirty too :/.

Maybe I should get gravel but i'm kind of bored of it.

Underwurlde, wouldn't 1-2" cause that gas build up? (Sand) Maybe I should get gravel but i'd love if my corys could dig.

Hmm, I'll have a think about that but TBH, I really wouldn't worry. A weekly prod of the substrate with a BBQ squewer will probably prevent any build ups. Stuck in the middle of my 5yr old's b-day party at the mo & it's feeding time at the zoo.

Andy

In nature no-one gravel vacs or prods sand - some have suggested such pockets are not as common with good healthy plants rooting in the substrate and that the roots themselves can benefit too if I recall correctly.

Not if you have root feeders that establish themselves.

Also in nature there are other organisms and creatures that move through the substate as well though like snails and other natural things.

We can put MTS in to burrow through the sand and have fish that play in the sand to help along with plants like Echinodorus and Cryptocoryne species which develop large root mass and therefore can alleviate this problem.

We wouldn't put other natural organisms in though because:

1 - They are not available
2 - We don't know what effect they could have in a small confined amount of water.

The things I am talking about are worms, larvae, parasitic creatures and a huge array of others that live in the substrate of natural water bodies.

I dont stir my sand. I leave it to MTS, roots and 4 pitbull plecs playing to do it for me and I don't seem to have any problems (judging by no deaths)

Andy

Not if you have root feeders that establish themselves.

Also in nature there are other organisms and creatures that move through the substate as well though like snails and other natural things.

We can put MTS in to burrow through the sand and have fish that play in the sand to help along with plants like Echinodorus and Cryptocoryne species which develop large root mass and therefore can alleviate this problem.

We wouldn't put other natural organisms in though because:

1 - They are not available
2 - We don't know what effect they could have in a small confined amount of water.

The things I am talking about are worms, larvae, parasitic creatures and a huge array of others that live in the substrate of natural water bodies.

I dont stir my sand. I leave it to MTS, roots and 4 pitbull plecs playing to do it for me and I don't seem to have any problems (judging by no deaths)

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back