Do I Have The Wrong Filter / Pump On My 125L ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Matt75

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to check that I've got a suitable filter in opinions of wider membership as reading some different advice on flow rates / tank size / ratings etc.

I've recently bought a used 125L fluval tank that's got a Superfish Aqua Flow 200 in it (rated 200-400L per hour apparently) that has a spray bar fitted to it.

I've got a gravel base, no natural plants and the fish are a mix of small catfish (3 bronze, 3 glass), tetra's (neon and silver tipped) and two guppies as well as three plec's. However, two of those plecs will need to be rehomed soon as the last owner clearly had no idea how big a tank they needed and they were hidden in the photos I was given.

I'm off to a well regarded store for some plec food, a good quality water testing kit cos I'm not 100% happy with the tetra one I've got - so can swap filters very swiftly if I've got the wrong stuff.

Thanks in advance !

M

not powerful enough for a 125L in my opinion,

if you are happy with that filter i would suggest buying a second one,

put half the media from your old filter into the new filter, and put half new media in each filter

Mikey,

Thanks. I'm toying with a move to sand / pea gravel as a base - as I learn more and more about them I'm warming to them (the tank came with a load of red / white gravel which we don't like very much - doesn't help the fish stand out other than the plecs !).

I was worried about flow as it just seemed physically smaller than the other option - I've got a fluval 3plus in my 60 litre tank which is about to become available (about to downsize our betta into a 20L tank as part of one to two tank move). That's got a flow rate of 700 litres per hour iirc. I'd have to tone it down and run side by side for a while on new media till it built up some bacteria, however - keen to have the right tool for the job, not the nearest to hand. Fish welfare to me is greater than £20-30 extra for another filter !

{edit - Seen some reviews / comments on here around the all pond solutions external filter options - makes for interesting option, below is new content}

I've looked at the external All Ponds Filters which are from 1000 L an hour upwards. I'm quite tempted, but wondering if that's too much power for my tank ? I'd like some natural plants in the future (i.e. once base and fish all settled in and decorations more suitable) but don't want it to be overly brisk in flow.

Matt

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back