Do Fish Have Teeth?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

InaneCathode

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was just perusing a bit, and found a post that said neons are nippy. Neons, are tiny. They look about as dangerous as a slice of bread, and for the life of me i can't think of how they could actually bite something.
That goes for all fish, unless its some hell creature of the deep or some monster pike, i don't see how a fish could ever actually damage anything, other than sucking it out (eyes, etc).
The image im stuck with in my head is a goldfish biting something, just comically glub-glubbing at something uselessly.

A lot of fish have teeth. Many tetras do and my congo tetra could bite hard lol.
All fish have grinders in the back of the throat so they can make mincemeat of their food, they look a bit like teeth and if you have a big fish you might be lucky enough to find one in the tank.

Fish most certrainly do have teeth:

snakeheadgiant22inhead.jpg

tiger.jpg

Fish most certrainly do have teeth:

snakeheadgiant22inhead.jpg

tiger.jpg

ACK!

Although, i havent seen any of those in any of your tanks :p

As far as the rasps go, i understand that part. But do neons have actual teeth, like around their lips?

Yes neons have teeth, like their pirahna cousins they have fairly well developed teeth set in the front of the jaw as well as the pharnegal teeth set back in the throat.

What about bettas? What do they have? Our Steve proper hurts my finger when he nips it during hand feeding.

I think the bite has a lot to do with suction. The fish pretty much inhale and the sucking grabs your finger and pulls. Most, if not all, fish have teeth; they are in the throat of most fish.

i have silver dollrs. the other day there was a hair floating in the tank. befor i could get it one of them bit it clean in half, like cutting it with scissors. they have strong jaws!!! and what i think look similar to malwi teeth. like reddish dots

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back