do dwarf gouramis change colour?

guppy_man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
im wondering if gouramis change colour because i bought 4 about a week ago and the 1 i bought was not really as colourful as the others but now its as colourful as all the others could he have had an illness?

and does anyone know a good food suppliment for dwarf gouramis if so plz tell me.

i have : -

20gal tank

4 dwarf gouramis,2 guppys,2 balloon mollies,1 dalmation mollie,2 neon tetras sadly the other 4 died :-( and 1 pleco name jim lol :cool:

plz write back!

well....for starters you are overstocked....possibly why the neons have been dying.
-A majority of lfs/lps sell male dwarf gouramis, because they are the ones with color. I have never seen a female dg myself. So, I am guessing you have 4 males in the tank...probably a bad idea.
-Plecos can grow in excess of 12", when looking for an alage eater for a small tank, maybe look for an ottocinclus or flying fox. otto's grow to 2", while flying foxes to 6".
-Believe it or not balloon mollies can grow 5" :eek:
The dal will be fine, along with the guppies and the last neons, but you do need to cut back on the fish. When stocking tropical communities, remember the 1" of fish to 1 gallon rule. If you were to apply this rule to your tank, you would have 40g, including the pleco.

But back to your original question of changing color, fish change colors according to mood and stress level, so yes, it's completely normal. :)

i only lost my 2 tetras because their tail got caught in the filter and the fan cut the tails off i tried to save them in my hospital tank my the next morning they were dead :rip:

ok, yea tetras can get stuck to filters quite easily...i'm sorry to hear that....but you are overstocked, and i think anyone else will say the same :)

I am sorry but i've got to disagree, i don't think that tank is overstocked at all. If that is a 20 gal UK, those stocking levels are fine. To be honest, if its a 20 gal US, i still don't see a problem.

The only issue would be the Plec, if he is a common or sailfin, he will eventually need re-homing in something like a 55 gal

thanx for agreeing i dont think i am overstocking at all because the only fish that is going to grow is my pleco and he is only 3 inchs now all the other fish in my tank are under 2 inchs and they are all different feeding types the pleco at the bottom the gouramis middle the guppies everywhere same with mollies and the tetras.

tanks for the replies lol get it :p :p :D :p :p

Yep, don't see a problem with that at all. :D

Most reactions

trending

Back