Do Bio Stones work?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SushiTheFemaleBetta

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 10 gallon filtered and heated tank with heavy and healthy foliage. I just tested the water and the quality is good. However, my water is still cloudy. I think it's because I overfeed my mystery snails and had a bloom OR it's because i added drift wood (water is a bit tea colored). I have two questions; I boiled the drift wood prior but it appears there is still tannis leaking out. Any luck with eliminating it without waiting it out? Im going to try boiling again and doing another water change. My second question is I'm going to add a bio stone (as seen in picture) to see if that helps the cloudiness part. How fast does it take to work? It is worth the 19$?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Messages Image(4206924905).png
    Messages Image(4206924905).png
    292.9 KB · Views: 50
I have never used one, but have heard of one. I’m not sure if they work either.

I mean, if you have the funds, go ahead and get it.

Unless a member comes along who has used this and with positive results...don't waste your money. From the description, I doubt it would clear the tank, but that depends upon the cause.

Cloudy water can be due to a few things, from suspended particulate matter, to tannins, to algae blooms (green water), to various bacterial blooms. Not knowing what your cloudy water looks like--and even if we did, still might not be able to pin it down. But a bacterial bloom is caused by decomposition bacteria multiplying in response to an increase in dissolved organic matter. I cannot see this rock having any impact on that, and that is the most common type of bloom.

Do not boil wood. It breaks down the fibres, which means the wood will decompose/rot faster, and this can be a problem at some point. Soak it in a pail of water, or put it in the tank and get used to it. It is harmless, and actually beneficial to soft water fish species as well.

And, welcome to TFF. :hi:

Hello everyone,

I have a 10 gallon filtered and heated tank with heavy and healthy foliage. I just tested the water and the quality is good. However, my water is still cloudy. I think it's because I overfeed my mystery snails and had a bloom OR it's because i added drift wood (water is a bit tea colored). I have two questions; I boiled the drift wood prior but it appears there is still tannis leaking out. Any luck with eliminating it without waiting it out? Im going to try boiling again and doing another water change. My second question is I'm going to add a bio stone (as seen in picture) to see if that helps the cloudiness part. How fast does it take to work? It is worth the 19$?

Thanks!!
Dont waste your money, i use volcanic rock as a bio media because its porous inert and has a large surface area for beneficial bacteria. If one wants to use this in the filter as bio media for beneficial bacteria growth then there are cheaper alternatives, like a bag of lava rock. If one is expecting it to keep water clear and decrease need for water changes dont get your hopes up. Best way to keep water clean in tank is doing water changes. If one merely wants to get rid of tannis from woid activated carbon will do that keep in mind if one has plants in tank the activated carbon will also take out some nutrients plants need to grow.

Most reactions

trending

Back