Diy filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bladehunter

Reaction score
Hi, I’m getting annoyed with all the filters I have used not being strong enough,
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light to my invention I was thinking.
I want to make my own filter using a strong pond pump,
I have text plastic storage boxes big enough for a large filter.
Do you think it’s do able and if so how to set it out?

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

What filters have you been using that are so annoying?

You can certainly make your own sump or even canister filter.

What size tank is this?

What your planning sounds more or less like a sump tank. Check them out on youtube and you will see a lot of different ways to set them up.

A DIY filter is fine, but I wouldn't use a pond filter for a tank any smaller than several hundred gallons! Many hobbyists have come to believe that good filtration means a lot of fast moving water. But good filtration is about how well we filter the water, not how much, or how fast, we push water through media.
And filters don't clean the water, they just make it look clearer. Filters trap detritus where it continues to decay and pollute the water!
------
I've seen it written over and over that we need 4x to 10x the tank size in gallons per hour. In a word, this is nonsense.
I've also seen it written many times that "there's no such thing as too much filtration", But YES there is. Not long ago on a FB forum I saw a 55g tank with three (3) large canister filters underneath, when one would have been more than enough! A waste of money and too much water flow for most fish to be happy.
------
There are many, many tanks out there that have crystal clear water that merely use an air driven sponge or box filter...and many more JUST USE PLANTS with no 'filter' at all.
------
So...a DIY filter is fine, but I suggest to you that most filters out there that are rated for your size tank have ample flow rates to maintain water clarity.
A decent filter, a good cleanup crew (like Malaysian Trumpet Snails), and routine tank maintenance is all we need.

A decent filter, a good cleanup crew (like Malaysian Trumpet Snails), and routine tank maintenance is all we need.
So true. I have about 30 in my 10g betta tank, and they keep the sand/glass spotless. I also have Blue Rams Horn Snails, and a large zebra Nerite snail. I believe in a good cleanup up crew. ;)

So true. I have about 30 in my 10g betta tank, and they keep the sand/glass spotless. I also have Blue Rams Horn Snails, and a large zebra Nerite snail. I believe in a good cleanup up crew. ;)
And now for the other side of the coin. My mission is to eradicate every snail there is in my twenty gallon. Some pond snails came in with some Hornwort I got. They seem to be reproducing slowly and I siphon them out at water changes. I get two or three a week and they are pretty small. Remember, once snails check in they never check out. Ooohh ! There's one now. :mad:

And now for the other side of the coin. My mission is to eradicate every snail there is in my twenty gallon. Some pond snails came in with some Hornwort I got. They seem to be reproducing slowly and I siphon them out at water changes. I get two or three a week and they are pretty small. Remember, once snails check in they never check out. Ooohh ! There's one now. :mad:
Hello I had a snail infestation and got rid of all of them with Cupramine. I did not have any fish in the tank while I cleared out all of the emails. It took about two weeks. I read that you shouldn't use it with invertebrates and plants.

There are some of us who like snails. I have two species of pest snails that came with plants, and Malaysian trumpet snails and nerites which I bought. I don't overfeed my tanks and the pest snail and MTS populations have not got out of control. And nerites don't breed in fresh water.

The size of beneficial biology colony(ies) is relative to the available food (ammonia/nitrite) and O2. It's the same for snails! So to reduce the population just make sure not to over feed and do routine housekeeping. But you really should not try to eliminate snails as they are a real ally in keeping a clean tank. They scavenge and break down organic matter that we wouldn't even see.

Hello I had a snail infestation and got rid of all of them with Cupramine. I did not have any fish in the tank while I cleared out all of the emails. It took about two weeks. I read that you shouldn't use it with invertebrates and plants.

Say what?! You used Cupramine to clear out the emails????

Thank you, that's good to know but I am scared of chemicals and never use them. Even dechlorinator spooks me. I tend to use 1/3 less than the manufacturers recommendation and let the water sit for 2 or 3 hours before I use it.

Thank you, that's good to know but I am scared of chemicals and never use them. Even dechlorinator spooks me. I tend to use 1/3 less than the manufacturers recommendation and let the water sit for 2 or 3 hours before I use it.
I also let my water sit after adding treatment. I do it the day before and let the water warm up to room temp. I warm the water up with a spare heater if I need to before adding it to the tank.

I also let my water sit after adding treatment. I do it the day before and let the water warm up to room temp. I warm the water up with a spare heater if I need to before adding it to the tank.
@Retired Viking that is exactly how it should be done IMHO. The advice given by Dr. William T. Innes in his epic tome Exotic Aquarium Fishes still holds true today (IMHO) . Let your water age.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back