DIY decorations/accessories

Vinegar will help with the cleaning some what, but in effect it is really just a weak acid. For rocks I sterilize using standard bleach, if they are none porous. For wood I use oxygen bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide, because it breaks down much faster. If the source is reasonably safe and the piece has gone through a bone dry phase I don't necessarily sterilize the pieces.

Please note that I base this entirely on personal experience. I haven't had any diseases introduced or and leaching that caused issues with the fish, but perhaps it is luck on my part.

Vinegar will help with the cleaning some what, but in effect it is really just a weak acid. For rocks I sterilize using standard bleach, if they are none porous. For wood I use oxygen bleach, Hydrogen Peroxide, because it breaks down much faster. If the source is reasonably safe and the piece has gone through a bone dry phase I don't necessarily sterilize the pieces.

Please note that I base this entirely on personal experience. I haven't had any diseases introduced or and leaching that caused issues with the fish, but perhaps it is luck on my part.
Could you use brick acid?

For cleaning I wouldn't personally use brick acid, though it seems to be very similar to muriatic acid. It is a strong HCl solution primarily. It would be too strong for my use personally, though I would use it to test for carbonates.

No one gets the spectacular tanks you own based upon luck. You know things.

Slate is fine for aquariums, just make sure it doesn't have any sharp edges.

Superglue dries quickly (within minutes) and is non toxic when dry. We use it in marine tanks to glue coral fragments onto limestone blocks.

Slate is fine for aquariums, just make sure it doesn't have any sharp edges.

Superglue dries quickly (within minutes) and is non toxic when dry. We use it in marine tanks to glue coral fragments onto limestone blocks.
Great thanks

So... My question is this... (Probably not the appropriate thread but I feel I am just posting a million times haha 😂 apologies for that)

Is there a particular size gravel that is best or should be used for a community tank? Does there have to be sand too? What are the benefits/negatives of using sand etc?
What about coloured gravel and what colours are better/what colours should be avoided?

Sand is better for bottom dwelling fishes like catfish and loaches.
Small gravel is better than large gravel.
Dark gravel is better than light gravel.
Natural brown gravel is better than coloured gravel.
Smooth gravel is better for bottom dwellers than rough gravel.

Most reactions

Back