DIY CO2 System questions

rvm

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I set up a DIY CO2 system on 2 of my tanks last night, and followed the instructions on this page. I have the bubbles going into my filter intake, but it just seems to create an air gap in my cannister filters that stop them from working!! Am I doing something wrong, or should I just go with an airstone?
I have quite high fish stocks in both tanks, so I have my filters set up to agitate the surface of the water. I know this isn't ideal, but I don't want to alter this. My plants do grow reasonably well, but they go brown very easily, and all I'm trying to do with the CO2 is avoid this a bit.
I have high Ph water (around 8 ) and it is very hard as well (not sure how hard, but well 'ard is a good guess!!!) so I'm not massively concerned about alterations to water chemistry.
What is the best way to solve this?

but surely that just blows the CO2 bubble to the surface and it doesn't dissolve??

it get blown into a million smaller bubbles that looks like it dissolves.

my CO2 level is about 15-20ppm with 1bubble every 2 sec .. I'm happy

You're supposed to put it in the filter intake, though I've never done it myself.

You must have a lot of CO2 bubbles entering the filter for it to make such noise. You could try a different diffuser method. This page lists a few different options under "Reactors". http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

yup, it's giving me 8 bubbles every 10 seconds. Does that mean I used too much yeast? I used the 1/2 teaspoon and 2 cup of sugar mix as recommended.
I think I'll try trapping the gas in an upturned cup or something like that. See how that goes before I decide to buy anything too expensive to diffuse it well!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back