Discus....black Lines

Rodders

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Just to clear something up.

The thick black lines that run vertically down their bodies, are these stress bars???

Never heard that myself....my big discus Raiden has black lines that sometimes show and somtimes dont, I think its just the same as the angels, I just though it was to either warn other fish off of for breeding.

Mine all do it, especially at feeding time which is why I thought the above.

Here are 2 pictures of him.....one with stripes and one without.

Raideninbluelight.jpg

lucyraidenkanoandalexanderaugust05.jpg

yes, those are "stress bars", i personally have had some discus that would always show them, but others would come and go. If the fish was frightened, there would be a slight loss of color and really dark stress bars.

So is it bad for them to be like that? Are they over stressed??? I see a lot like that in fish shops and wondered if it was ok to buy them?

Most fish in shops WILL be stressed. They will have stress bars showing or be pale. This is normal as in a fish shop there is little comfort. It would be a good idea to see if there are any diseases visible that may have become because of the stress, but otherwise, it would be fine to buy them. At home their bars and paleness may stay, but after a week they should be normal. If they aren't, it definately isn't a good thing and you should look over the basics.

i agree with mike on that. most fish places the discus are stressed out. always look for a good round shape, fat body, make sure all fins are working, and make the fish place put some food in to see that they do eat. a shy discus is very very normal, and once in a more home like situation they will come around eventually. just be careful and ask lots of questions esspeccially about the temp and ph the discus in the store are in, that way if it differs from yours you know to take a longer time acclimating them.

Some will show their stress bars (or as I prefer to call them 'eek stripes'!) more than others, depends on their general demeanour and place in the hierachy - I find the further down the pecking order, the more often they switch on the eeks, especially when faced with the top dog! Fish shops are bad places for assessing a discus' colour anyhow, all garish substrate, frequent net stress and meddlesome tankmates...

They should be called "communication" bars and not stress bars. There are a host of reasons that they might show them. If the fish are eating and swimming then there is no need to worry about them.

-john

Most reactions

Back