Disaster!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ReMz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So I actually ended up SHATTERING my 10gallon tank accidentally this weekend with Dodger and the Otos still in it! :blink:

The events leading up to it were quite comical... but the results were disastrous. Before I get into it though, Dodger is 100% OK and as happy as ever (tough little bugger).

I woke up around 7am on a Saturday morning and had to go to the bathroom.... realllllly bad (pfffftttt.... long night of partying will do that to you :p). Of course I'm extremely hungover and very very groggy. My GF is on the outside of my bed.... and i'm up against the wall. So trying to be considerate, I start climbing over the footboard of my bed. My first step ended up right inside of one of my laundry baskets and I started hopping around trying to regain my balance. All of my "considerate thoughts" went out the window as I'm stumbling around with a laundry basket on one foot going "whoah!! whoah!!! oooooooppppppp.... WHOAHHH!!!!!!!".

Of course I trip on my dogs water bowl and ram my elbow right into the 10g fish tank on my dresser. ....... ...... 10 gallons of water came pouring out of the tank in about half a second, along with the fish and gravel. :no:

Long story short, I ran to setup one of my spare 5 gallon tanks. Thank god for my Python, as it only took a matter of minutes to fully fill it to the right temp and have it ready. Scooped up Dodger and one of the otos and got them to safety. Unfortunately, 1 of the otos could not be found :( :( :( (very strange)

I suffered a few slices from the glass on my arm, but really wasn't concerned at the time.... and ended up tracking some blood around my bedroom. :rolleyes: .... this was the definition of 'fiasco'

*Sigh*. Not how I wanted to start my Saturday morning at 7am.

So anyways. The tank disaster prompted me to get off my lazy bum and start working on the 10 gallon tank the way I've wanted it to be for a while. Dodger seems to love it more than ever and is zooming through all of the nooks and crannies of the drift wood. I've since added 2 more otos to the tank.

I'm not entirely happy with the driftwood, as the piece on the right needs to be a bit smaller. I'll probably saw it down to my liking later. Some of the plants were growing quite well in the old 10 gallon setup, but suffered quite a bit of damage and drying out. I replanted them on the left of the tank and added a some more plants (amazon swords and java fern). All the plants (new and old) are in pretty poor shape, so i've added some root tabs throughout the tank. Should be looking really good in no time!

Before I write an entire book, here are the pics of the new setup:

Full tank shots and Dodger exploring his new home :p:
dsc006902703392sz3.jpg

dsc006912723999wy0.jpg

dsc006952740195xq9.jpg

Start to my java moss "carpet"... some of it may have dried out and died.... i hope that is not the case
dsc006972776445wl9.jpg

2 of the new otos making themselves right at home (i still haven't tucked in all the roots of the plants :rolleyes:)
dsc006962756225pd5.jpg

and although blurry, dodger being inquisitive of the camera as usual .... i know i would hide at the site of me after all of this :p
dsc006982685971uo2.jpg

That's a bad way to start the day :crazy:
Anyway, I am really glad you saved your little betta and one of the otos.

Dang that sounds hectic! It must of been a pain in the ass to clean up ._.

Perhaps your dog ate the missing oto? My friend's dog ate his Betta before because it jumped out of his bowl.

Dang that sounds hectic! It must of been a pain in the ass to clean up ._.

Perhaps your dog ate the missing oto? My friend's dog ate his Betta before because it jumped out of his bowl.
I actually think he may have gotten turned over in the gravel inside the tank somewhere...... I looked pretty hard.

Trust me, my dog didn't want to have anything to do with the mess. He's gotten himself in enough trouble with getting into the trash..... the last thing he wanted was for this to be pinned on him :lol:

lol... was just re-reading my post and couldn't help myself.

you know you have a fish addiction when you say things like:
10g fish tank on my dresser

LOL ReMz! What a bad start to the day! I'm glad things turned out OK, what a nightmare! That'll teach you to drink so much :p

no kidding :p

so no love on the new tank setup eh? *sigh*

the new tank set up looks really good.....hope your elbow is Ok....make your gf sleep next to the wall! :hyper:

Gotta laugh, as my visual was hilarious! What a way to spend Sat. morning!!!

Think so? says the woman with a 10 and a 5 gallon on hers.
Isn't it normal to look at a sturdy, well-built piece of furniture and calculate its tank-holding capacity?
Oh, well, I never wanted to be normal anyway...

Don't these disasters always happen just when you're least well able to deal with them?
And I'm so sorry about the oto, but at least the rest are OK.

How're your elbow and feet?
Must have been pretty nasty if you tracked blood all over saving your fish.
Hope you got the bits out OK - I've had bits of glass in my feet for years and I can still tell they're there.

I love the driftwood and it's a great shape - would be a pity to alter it.
Have you considered waiting a bit, to see how the plants balance it?
Personally, I think the tank'll be not only nice but REALLY interesting, like a little slice of river in your room.
Of course, this comes from someone with 9 tanks and a large storage container of fish in hers, apart from the empty tank waiting to take its place in the ongoing shuffle, and the 30 gal. in the basement, empty and wailing to be squeezed upstairs and filled...

Figure on adding any foreground plants as you go?
You could get such a totally foresty look, I'm so envious.
Dying to see pics as it matures, to see what you do with it.
It already looks great, in my opinion.

funny.gif

Sorry ReMz.....just got visions of you flailing around with a laundry basket stuck on your foot :lol: :lol:

I do hope you're ok though and glad to hear your fish are ok now. That new set up looks great :good:

hmm, all of my tank disasters have been while my husband was away on buisness and I was home alone with a one year old. nothing like playing on the floor with the baby to look up and see a seem has popped and is squirting water all over your couch.

I like the new set up. I hope your plants dont all die off.

Just another day in the life of a fish fanatic huh? Ive never had any fish disasters but im sure ill have plenty in the future as I can be a bit of a clutz. Love the new set up and your fish looks happy so thats all that matters! :)

Isn't it normal to look at a sturdy, well-built piece of furniture and calculate its tank-holding capacity?

Glad I'm not the only one who does this!!!

Sorry to hear about your mishap lol, and glad you were able to recover fairly well!

Gotta laugh, as my visual was hilarious! What a way to spend Sat. morning!!!
I wish it was caught on film.... then again..... i would rather not relive the moment :lol:

Think so? says the woman with a 10 and a 5 gallon on hers.
Oh, well, I never wanted to be normal anyway...

Don't these disasters always happen just when you're least well able to deal with them?
And I'm so sorry about the oto, but at least the rest are OK.

How're your elbow and feet?
Must have been pretty nasty if you tracked blood all over saving your fish.
Hope you got the bits out OK - I've had bits of glass in my feet for years and I can still tell they're there.

I love the driftwood and it's a great shape - would be a pity to alter it.
Have you considered waiting a bit, to see how the plants balance it?
Personally, I think the tank'll be not only nice but REALLY interesting, like a little slice of river in your room.
Of course, this comes from someone with 9 tanks and a large storage container of fish in hers, apart from the empty tank waiting to take its place in the ongoing shuffle, and the 30 gal. in the basement, empty and wailing to be squeezed upstairs and filled...

Figure on adding any foreground plants as you go?
You could get such a totally foresty look, I'm so envious.
Dying to see pics as it matures, to see what you do with it.
It already looks great, in my opinion.
lol... i'm always hunting for places to add new tanks. it's ridiculous! every little corner becomes a potential fish home. *remz shakes head*.... if only this addiction were cheaper.... between fish and my car, i'm hopeless :lol:

I actually didn't get any glass in my feet. The first thing I did was throw on a pair of socks and threw down some towels. Somehow, I had half-a-brain in my 'groggy' :)P) state.

The driftwood has grown on me. I was playing with it quite a bit (as it is 2 peices) and had determined i wanted to cut down the size of the right side piece. However, this was before I re-adjusted it one more time before taking pictures. I'm quite keen on it sticking out of the tank. I don't think I'll be messing with it much, if at all.

I'm no sure on what I want to add for foreground plants.... as this is a low-light tank and i'm still very much a newbie to the planted tank world. I will be adding some java fern onto the driftwood.... would love to have riccia as a carpet plant, but really would rather this tank stays 'low-tech' (we'll see how long that lasts :p). I'm very open to suggestions.

funny.gif

Sorry ReMz.....just got visions of you flailing around with a laundry basket stuck on your foot :lol: :lol:

I do hope you're ok though and glad to hear your fish are ok now. That new set up looks great :good:
:lol: Lol, I've already had my fair share of harassment from my friends (my roomate made sure of it). I'm now the "Hungover idiot that slams his elbow into fishtanks because he is so tough" -- so to speak :lol:. It really was funny..... I'd rather laugh at my own misfortunes.

hmm, all of my tank disasters have been while my husband was away on buisness and I was home alone with a one year old. nothing like playing on the floor with the baby to look up and see a seem has popped and is squirting water all over your couch.

I like the new set up. I hope your plants dont all die off.
:eek: THAT SOUNDS HORRIBLE!

Some of the plants may not make it.... though the new growth on a few of them looks very green and promising.... I may just have to remove the mature growth and start from scratch. It's not like a trip the the lfs to buy some new plants would be all that bad after what has already happened :lol:

Just another day in the life of a fish fanatic huh? Ive never had any fish disasters but im sure ill have plenty in the future as I can be a bit of a clutz. Love the new set up and your fish looks happy so thats all that matters! :)
haha. things are bound to happen eventually.... hopefully not as ridiculous as this though :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back