Disaster Struck

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BigTuna

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I had a rude awakening as my 90 gallon freshwater tank had blown seals and was pouring water all over my basement floor. I was hours cleaning it up and saving ALL of my fish. While I was pretty upset at first, I phoned the store that sold me the tank and they were incredible. This is a hobby I'm very new at, and haven't had the tank for more then 8 months. Although the over 1 hour drive to the store sucked, the manager refunded me every penny on the tank and all my supplies. This allowed me to go from a nice 90 gallon tank to an absolutely amazing 125 Gallon. I upgraded to LED lights to give sufficient light for my new addition - live plants! I was up all night setting it up and getting water figured out. It looks very bare, but I can't wait to get it filled with a bunch of live plants and some more fish. I will post picts once things are little more settled.

Right now for fish I have two tiger barbs, a bala shark, redfine shark, petricola catfish, leporinus, and an albino rainbow shark.

Wow! Unlucky, but sort of lucky as you now have an all new awesome tank!? :D

What a horrible thing to have happened, but glad the store was good about it & you saved all your fish.
I bet they're enjoying the extra space too

Yep, pretty amazing. Painless, other then the mess of the previous tank, and the stress on me and my fish. Pretty excited about the new tank, and the new 'part' of my hobby - live plants.

Nice ending to a horrid crisis :)

You do realise your two Shark Minnows (Red Tail/ Rainbow) will eventually not tolerate each other (even in a 125g) and at least one will likely perish?
Plus your Bala Shark should reach ~40cm, needs a big school of ~10+ to reduce skittishness and even a 9x3x3 foot tank would not do them justice.
Are the spots smaller on the "Petricola"'s head than on its body? If so, it is likely to be Synodontis lucipinnis, either way a very social syno that could do with 4 or 5 more conspecifics.
Did you always have just two Tiger Barbs? Needs upping to 12+ for the sake of their tankmates, should keep any nipping "in-house."

As soon as I know the new tank is safe I plan on adding quite a few fish. I have lost some barbs, at one point I was at 8, so I'd like add to the two I have left remaining. I'd also like to get some Electric Blue Rams that I saw, they absolutely stopped me in my tracks. Amazing fish. As for the petricola, I will have to take a closer look.

The spots on the catfish are bigger on it's body. What does this mean, exactly?

As soon as I know the new tank is safe I plan on adding quite a few fish. I have lost some barbs, at one point I was at 8, so I'd like add to the two I have left remaining. I'd also like to get some Electric Blue Rams that I saw, they absolutely stopped me in my tracks. Amazing fish. As for the petricola, I will have to take a closer look.

Are Ram Cichlids okay with Tiger Barbs? :crazy:

I guess I'm not getting the Blue Rams then. You think its possible I've got my fish mixed up? I certainly am not putting any cichlids in with my fish. Is this a no newbies allowed forum? I'm getting that impression pretty quickly :D

The blue fish I saw on display when I was picking up my new tank were not with other cichlids, and I was told they would be fine with my fish, so more then likely there is a mix up somewhere. With me being pretty new to all this, the mix up is probably with me :) Therefore, likely not a Electric Blue Ram.

This forum has LOTS of newbies so you're in good company. Doesn't mean there won't be direct and to-the-point replies, however.
lookaround.gif

Right on, well I am hoping I get an opportunity to look at some fish tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Love your signature, TOS. :D

Thanks ... some of my favorite fish ... just wish I'd see them sometimes! Good luck with the shopping. You might want to take notes on the fish you see that you like, then come back home and do some research or ask us about them. Happy to help!
smile.gif

Most reactions

trending

Back