Disaster Evacuation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lizzy079

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I live in an apartment complex and recently there was a fire a few apartments down from where I live on the second level. It was late night/ early morning when this occurred but we're lucky that we have neighbors looking out for us. The apartment is completely burned (shattered and melted glass around the windows and rooms completely black), luckily the surrounding apartments didn't catch on fire, however it occurred to me that if it were to happen again I wouldn't know what I would do in order to rescue my fish seeing that the tank will be too heavy for me to lift and I will have very little time to actually rescue them.
What are some things I could do if another fire were to occur or if I moved somewhere where a natural disaster, like an earthquake or tornado, and had very little time to take any action to rescue them?

I can't even imagine trying to net my fish quickly enough to escape from a fire... I suppose I'd have choose my favorites as terrible as that sounds

I dont even know if i could grab 3 of my cats & 2 dogs to save them in short period of time...

Only way to find out is to practice an evacuation.I would make sure I had my dogs and of course my wife out first lol.

Having lived thru a house fire, All I am going to say is we were lucky to get out alive, There was no time to think about cats or dogs or netting fish, The smoke detectors were going off the house was full of smoke it was 3 am, The biggest concern was that all the people got out including 3 kids, We all got out. 

My best advice, Is get out of the building straight away make sure your family is safe, In an apartment complex help your neighbours  . As much as we love our pets, While you are saving a fish a human may be burning to death.

NickAu said:
Having lived thru a house fire, All I am going to say is we were lucky to get out alive, There was no time to think about cats or dogs or netting fish, The smoke detectors were going off the house was full of smoke it was 3 am, The biggest concern was that all the people got out including 3 kids, We all got out. 

My best advice, Is get out of the building straight away make sure your family is safe, In an apartment complex help your neighbours  . As much as we love our pets, While you are saving a fish a human may be burning to death.

I have to say, I agree.

Under NO circumstances should you ever try to save pets in a house fire or similar situation. Far too many people have died doing that, and it's just not worth the risk.

I know that sounds like a harsh thing to say and, of course, I think we'd all want to save our pets if we could (we wouldn't have them if we didn't love them!), but they're not worth losing your own life over.

If I had a fire I would definitely have to grab my two house bunnies while I got out. I have so many animals though it would be such a disaster

If you are foolish enough to try to rescue pets, especially fish then you will likely end up as a crispy critter yourself. I have had my apartment catch fire in the 1970s in college. My roommate and I had no time to save anything. I ran out wearing only my underwear and a pair of slippers. Another minute and I would have been in very big trouble.

None of my fish are worth losing my life or even suffering 3rd degree burns for. I can replace them.

I've never dealt with fires, but tornadoes are a regular threat where I live (plus the occasional hurricane). With these types of emergencies, you have more warning. In the case of tornadoes, I have to leave the fish, gather up my dog, my first aid kit, my phone charger and my medicine. If I have enough time, I put my laptop and some water bottles in a backpack, plus some granola bars.my last apartment was stilted due to frequent flood threats, but my friend lives in a solid house on higher ground, so that was the safer place to be. The first aid kit is mostly in case windows shatter or debris hits someone. Just enough stuff to clean up minor injuries or wrap a dog's leg. The snacks are in case we lose power or in case something happens with the water lines.

It is entirely possible to evacuate a hurricane with fish though. You have plenty of warning. Well I suppose you have enough time if you only have a few tanks. Just break down your tanks, invest in some battery operated air pumps, and drive to the evacuation point. Set up some temporary tanks, do water changes frequently, and wait it out.

If there's a flash flood, you've got limited warning. These also can cause damage to electrical outlets and so you should not try to net your fish. You will be electrocuted.

I'd only attempt to save some things because I'm confident in my judgement of just how much time I can commit to getting things out, before it's too late. But if time permitted, I have to say the best solution that comes to mind is breaking the aquarium w/ some 5 gallon buckets ready to catch any waterfalling fishes. But then I suppose you just have very temporary housing for them, as you're left watching firefighters cook smores in your livingroom.

I'd only attempt to save some things because I'm confident in my judgement of just how much time I can commit to getting things out, before it's too late.
With all due respect, You have no idea how much time you have Fire spreads as it will and you would most likely get trapped and cause fire fighters to risk their lives to try and save you . In most cases the toxic smoke will kill you before the fire gets to you.

If there's smoke in your house, get down low and go, go, go!

homefiresafety.com.au

I'm really not downplaying the severity of a fire. If I have zero time to react, I'm out of the house. I live in a single story house w/ large windows in each room. I have 3 points of entrance/exit from my livingroom (where my tanks are). This world needs heroes.

In a house fire my first priority is my son and girlfriend, probably won't even think about the fish, sad as that may be to some but that really is the best policy.

As long as there is a door or window is open or a escape route of sorts, cats and dogs have a good chance of generally getting out by themselves.

Get out of the house, forget about possessions, favourite items, money etc etc save your family, thats it, nothing else matters.

Most reactions

trending

Back