dirty live rock

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

amstar15

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
well I got my new powerheads in today. I only went with five total in the tank. what a difference so far in water movement. in the past I have said that I have a alage problem on my live rock. the alage on my rocks is not green, nor is it red now (phosban filter pad worked great). my rocks look as though they have brown dirty cob webs on them. I noticed that when I put in my new powerheads alot of I guess "dirt" came flying up. My question is how do I take care of this problem It seems when I use a powerheard to sweep it off the rocks it just settles elsewhere.. could this be leading to my not so clean looking live rock>

Just keep some mechanical filtration going and make sure you continually clean your filter. It will clear up. I had the same type of thing with my LR in the beginning. I was fine after a few days and the water cleared up. Especially with the Powerheads keeping the circulation going. If you dont giv it a chance to settle too much it will get cleaned out.

so you are saying maybe twice a day go in and use a powerhead and sweep over the rocks to kick up everything off of them. in doing so make sure I have some good floss in the sump as well as carbon to help catch everything i stirr up. sounds like a plan to me if that is what you are saying.

Yeah... If you want to get the crud out of the tank that would be a good way to do it. Or you can take a gravel vacuum the next time you do a water change and get it out that way.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back