Digital Ph Tester Or Liquid!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

muay

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I dont often test my PH etc unless somthing goes wrong. Im thinking of investing in a digital PH tester. I do have the testers from the water test kits but im thinking that the didital one would be more accurate and reliable.

Has anyone ever used one for testing aquariaum water and would you recommend ?

Unless you're willing to shell out a fortune and regularly recalibrate it then the liquid test kits are winning, they're accurate enough for our use, we don't need to know our pH to however many decimal places. The digital equipment is generally more accurate but not as precise as they require regular calibration as things like temperature can throw them out.

Thanks and you have mad some very valid points. I think ill stick to the liquid testers then.

A digital pH tester requires frequent calibration against a "standard". For most hobbyists that would be a cumbersome and prohibitively expensive thing to do. It could give slightly more accurate results than our tests do but those results are not needed. The alternative of using a liquid test approach using appropriate dyes gives good enough results for fish keeping and is relatively cheap.
Any digital test equipment that claims to not need frequent calibration I would consider suspect. I have used too much lab grade equipment to believe that.

Most reactions

Back