Jack Dempsey x Con
Green Terror x Con
Firemouth x Con
Firemouth x Blood Parrot
Salvini x Con
Blue Acara x Con
Blue Acara x Firemouth

????

Im not looking to do this but just wondering, If any of these are possible I may pick out a few and see what I get?

I would imagine the severum would work. Not too sure though as I have never bothered with hybrids.

a red spot sev works not sure about the rest or why you would want to

I seem to remember Star 4 had a convict cross a while back, it was a great looking fish!

Here you go, convict cross sev.

054.jpg

I seem to remember Star 4 had a convict cross a while back, it was a great looking fish!

Here you go, convict cross sev.

054.jpg

I Like that, I might try that with the sevs, also - with the blue gene demseys, could you breed a sev and blue jack and get a severum shaped dempsey colour?

No idea mate. Electric Blue Jacks can be very temperamental and sometimes a little open to ill health. An expensive fish that may very well go belly up before it even gets to breeding ages. :/ Also BG Jacks aren't guarenteed to produce any blue colouration, but is obviously possible.

No idea mate. Electric Blue Jacks can be very temperamental and sometimes a little open to ill health. An expensive fish that may very well go belly up before it even gets to breeding ages. :/ Also BG Jacks aren't guarenteed to produce any blue colouration, but is obviously possible.

Ohh are they a bad fish to buy?
Are they dyed?
There a fiver in my lfs is that cheap?

just to experiment, it wont harm the fish and I just want to see the colors I could get

You cant guarantee you wont be doing harm though, because creating hybrids you dont know, you cant predict what you'll get. Look at blood parrots, i would call those harmed when such a high percentage are deformed not just in body shape but their face too.

You will have to be willing to cull the babies if they are deformed. Having created those lives, would you be willing to take it away again? Personally i couldnt, too much like playing god...

As for the EBJDs, if they are at £5, they arent EBJDs, just blue JDs.. looking at more like £20 each for EBJDs... and most of them look gorgeous as littleuns, not many people get them to breeding size and the people who have generally move on the fish as they get really ugly LOL.

No they're not dyed.

Verminator had probably the best looking EBJD around, and even that died once it reached maturity. Very hard fish to keep. The percentage rate of success is very low. The ones you have seen locally won't be EBJD, just blue gene JD's.

As mentioned, you need to be prepared to cull any deformed fry, you have no idea how they will turn out.

No they're not dyed.

Verminator had probably the best looking EBJD around, and even that died once it reached maturity. Very hard fish to keep. The percentage rate of success is very low. The ones you have seen locally won't be EBJD, just blue gene JD's.

As mentioned, you need to be prepared to cull any deformed fry, you have no idea how they will turn out.

Whats the difference between the blue gene and the electric blue?

Blue gene i would assume are Het for Electric Blue.

Kind of like with your convicts, i posted the basics..

100% normal x 100% pink = 100% Normal Het for (carrying) pink...

A blue gene is a Normal JD Het (carrying) Electric Blue Gene but on Jack Dempseys, if they carry the Electric Blue gene, they show 'markers' which is a brighter blue shade (without being Electric Blues themselves...)

Blue gene i would assume are Het for Electric Blue.

Kind of like with your convicts, i posted the basics..

100% normal x 100% pink = 100% Normal Het for (carrying) pink...

A blue gene is a Normal JD Het (carrying) Electric Blue Gene but on Jack Dempseys, if they carry the Electric Blue gene, they show 'markers' which is a brighter blue shade (without being Electric Blues themselves...)

Oh right so If I bred a Normal JD with a Blue Gene JD, I would get Electric Blues?
In your opinion is it worth doing and selling the off spring?

Normally... yes LOL

But this time... not necessarily... the EBJD genes dont seem to work like normal. Been a long while since i had anything to do with them or did any research.

But as far as i am aware, they dont breed true. For example... you cdan breed two EBJDs together and still not get EBJD babies...

You'd be laughing if you did get EBJD babies... but the chances of it happening? Very slim at best... if you can even raise one to adulthood... you would be very lucky!

I'd say get two Blue Gene JDs, breed them, choose two of the nicest bluest babies and breed those two together when they get older...

So then you would have adults carrying one blue gene each resulting in babies carrying two of the genes and breeding the siblings ought to result in EBJDs.....eventually... no guarantee... and you are looking at years down the line after growing your original pair up, growing up their babies if they breed and then getting the next pair to breed...

And then you end up with a LOT of excess babies that not many people or shops will want and no guarantee of EBJDs...

If you want to breed something not too difficult but popular, stick to smaller South Americans, like Taeniacara Candidi or Dicrossus filamentosus. Beautiful, none too common but not too difficult to look after but still a great project.

Normally... yes LOL

But this time... not necessarily... the EBJD genes dont seem to work like normal. Been a long while since i had anything to do with them or did any research.

But as far as i am aware, they dont breed true. For example... you cdan breed two EBJDs together and still not get EBJD babies...

You'd be laughing if you did get EBJD babies... but the chances of it happening? Very slim at best... if you can even raise one to adulthood... you would be very lucky!

I'd say get two Blue Gene JDs, breed them, choose two of the nicest bluest babies and breed those two together when they get older...

So then you would have adults carrying one blue gene each resulting in babies carrying two of the genes and breeding the siblings ought to result in EBJDs.....eventually... no guarantee... and you are looking at years down the line after growing your original pair up, growing up their babies if they breed and then getting the next pair to breed...

And then you end up with a LOT of excess babies that not many people or shops will want and no guarantee of EBJDs...

If you want to breed something not too difficult but popular, stick to smaller South Americans, like Taeniacara Candidi or Dicrossus filamentosus. Beautiful, none too common but not too difficult to look after but still a great project.

Oh right, I think ill give those a miss then and have a look at the Dicrossus filamentosus.
Thanks for your help and advice :)
Well appreciated!

Most reactions

trending

Back