Diagnosis for Corydora

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MPLongstaff

Reaction score
Need a Corydora diagnosis

Ive had three sterbais for about 5 weeks now. one of them has developed this filmy like coat on its side. its dorsal is also damaged but not sure when this occurred. just not sure what it is as ive tried to look up certain diseases but cant get to a conclusion

120lit 0 amm 0 nitrites 5-10nitrates kh& gh is fine ph 7.4

stock is 3 corydoras, 1 bristlenose, 7 rummynose, 2 zebra nerites

ive also medicated with melafix and pimafix with 1/2 doses but i know these are more than bandaids rather than cures

C106AEC1-1B12-4C25-990E-BF769D5D5F8D.jpeg
75D6C441-9AB6-4FA1-ADC1-778EF0283674.jpeg

Sounds like excess mucus. (No clue why everyone is having this problem lately. :dunno:)

@Colin_T

Something in the water is irritating them. As they both have fin damage I would do a daily 75% water change for 2 weeks. Make sure the water is dechlorinated and a similar temp to the tank. Wipe the inside of the glass and do a gravel vac with the water changes. No obvious signs of disease or infection so I would suggest stopping the meds. Keep an eye on them and let us know if anything changes, or they don't improve,

It's excess mucous either from poor water quality, chemicals in the water, or an external protozoan infection (Costia, Chilodonella, Trichodina). Your water appears fine and the fact only one fish has it would suggest external protozoa.

-------------------
Stop adding melafix and pimafix, they don't help.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water. Keep salt in there for 2 weeks.
When you do the daily water changes, add salt to the new water before it's added to the tank so the salinity (salt level) remains stable.

Something in the water is irritating them. As they both have fin damage I would do a daily 75% water change for 2 weeks. Make sure the water is dechlorinated and a similar temp to the tank. Wipe the inside of the glass and do a gravel vac with the water changes. No obvious signs of disease or infection so I would suggest stopping the meds. Keep an eye on them and let us know if anything changes, or they don't improve,
i wouldnt of said both were damaged. it might be the angle. i also forgot to mention that the infected one is itching on the gravel

Itching on the gravel usually indicates ich. Have you noticed any white spots on said fish?

If you can you should change to sand substrate. Gravel is really harmful to corydoras

No change after 7 days it seems. no other fish seem affected. should i just continue with the WC and addition of salt

Most reactions

Back