Deep Six Hydrometer

1clicc

Reaction score
Okay, just got my Deep Six Hydrometer (Coralife). When i measure the gravity and salinity in my tank the pointer was at the bottom of 1.010 which is the starting point. When i measure the freshwater from my sink, it was way high on 1.030. Does that mean my salt is too high that gravity pull down the pointer? or there's not enough salt in my water to raise the pointer to where i wanted to be? Help will be very appreciated and thanks a lot.

your specific gravity should be 1.026. if your's is reading anything under that you need to bring it up buy adding salt. do you have fish yet? anything in your tank?
if your sink water is reading that high something is wrong. try rinsing out your hydrometer and trying it again.always rinse before you recheck. let me know what happones and we'll go from there

My tank is still cycling, finally got it to Nitrite spike :p . All i need now is to check up on the salinity in my tank. Never tasted ocean water before so i don't really know how salty it taste like so i thought i added too much salt already, but i guess it wasn't enough. Welp, like i say ... the pointer is at the bottom of the hydrometer when i tested my tank, btw my tank does contain salt already. After testing a couple of time and got the same result, i'd thought i should test fresh water right from the sink (falcet) <---- "if that's how you spell it" :lol: , when i did that the pointer went to the top of the hydrometer so i thought it was odd. That's why i posted my problem here to see if anything is wrong! I haven't got anything in the tank yet cause the tank need to cycle. So, do you think i need to add more salt to raise it up? Thanks for your help, i really appreicated!! thanks again. Oh and is 1.026 a little to high for fish or is it just alrite? Please help me on this too. Thanks.

when i did that the pointer went to the top of the hydrometer so i thought it was odd.
that should not have happoned. because there is not enough salt in sink water to raise the pointer. you would not beleave how much salt is in marine water i think it is like 1cup per gallon. and 1.026 is about perfect. Start adding salt to your water untill your specific gravity is 1.026 it sounds like alot and it is but that is what the fishy's need to live :D

Usually, if you're using marine salt, it will say how much you should add per gallon of tank water. For example, if your tank is 55 gallons, then you would add 55 times the amount you need per gallon.

I think that you will usually add about a half cup per gallon.

Be sure that you thoroughly rinse out the hydrometer, so that you don't have any mineral or salt deposits forming inside it. Also, be sure to knock your hydrometer on the table when testing it, to make sure that there are no bubbles stuck to the pointer. LOL :fish:

Thanks a lot guyz, i appreciate the reply. Probably that's what i need to do after all. :lol: I'll add some more salt :D . Take it easy now!

The reply you got above from ginamoore makes no sense. Tap water shouldn't raise the needle on the hydrometer at all. Certainly not all the way to the top!!

If this does not change, go to the lfs and spend the $5 or whatever on a new hydrometer and see what happens.

But also rinse and bang once or twice!

1.024 to 1.026, and it is generally a half cup to the gallon of water but look at your bucket or bag or whatever for the specific manufacturer's instructions.

If this is a standard hydometer with the plastic needle like mine you have to be careful that there are no air bubbles on the needle or you will get a false reading. I just gave mine a good tap or two and that seems to do the trick.

Yeah, i wasn't careful enough to see the air bubble on my pointer, that's why it went so high.

i just bought a deep six a little while ago. the instructions say you should put fresh water in it for a certain amount of time before using it.
fyi
qdog

Gina ... sorry, I I read your post wrong (missed the word "not"! oops!)

It is worth noting that the margin of error on these plastic hydrometers can be high. A reading of 1.022 may be 1.018 :( or 1.026.

When I bought my tank, the previous owner gave me his hydrometer which he had callibrated against a refractometer. 1.021 was 1.025. But after 4 months, I worry about filling the water and reading 1.021! So I aim for 1.023.

.002 could in fact have a big impact on tank health, but there is no way we can get that accurate a reading with these plastic $6 tools.

but there is no way we can get that accurate a reading with these plastic $6 tools.

Yup, that's right ... but there is no choice but to use those $6 tools, because we're short on budget. I don't blame myself for using it because $80 for the refractometer can get me a lot of fishes.

Right on, man. I use the plastic too. I duplicate though ... in my sump I have a combo thermometer/hydrometer. Of course, it is impossible to read because it is so bloody small, but I get a second ballpark idea.

In the end, I'm not as maniacal about .001 as some in the hobby are, in part because of the knowledge of the margin of error.

But I am finding $35 refractometers. Next year, maybe. I just plopped down hundreds on an iv dosing pump, float switches, pumps, b-ionic, etc etc etc. Dopey me!!!

But I am finding $35 refractometers

Really!! where did you happen to find it at? Place or Link would be really appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back